• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Impossible to do any hard work

D

Deedee3500

I try so hard to stop being lazy and do some hard work but when I do it immediately triggers anxiety and everything goes wrong. Please help, I’m a culinary student and I’m trying to manage stress and anxiety but I feel helpless

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
A lot of people find cooking relaxing and it helps them destress and lower anxiety however I understand that doing it as a profession or studying it can be quite competitive and stressful.

Are you sure you're lazy and not just unmotivated and demoralised due to mental issues or other external factors? There is a big difference in my opinion.

I hope others will be along soon to share with you what helps them manage stress and anxiety.

I use medication which is a bit of a cheat as I'm not addressing the underlying issues. It's probably best to work things out with a little help from a therapist or others who have been through the same as you.

Can you tell me what stresses you out the most and what your anxiety is about?

D

Deedee3500

A lot of people find cooking relaxing and it helps them destress and lower anxiety however I understand that doing it as a profession or studying it can be quite competitive and stressful.

Are you sure you're lazy and not just unmotivated and demoralised due to mental issues or other external factors? There is a big difference in my opinion.

I hope others will be along soon to share with you what helps them manage stress and anxiety.

I use medication which is a bit of a cheat as I'm not addressing the underlying issues. It's probably best to work things out with a little help from a therapist or others who have been through the same as you.

Can you tell me what stresses you out the most and what your anxiety is about?
It’s really about being meticulous and perfect at everything while also completing tasks on time that gets me, I feel like a complete mess and lose hold of my thinking capabilities and end up making silly mistakes that could’ve been avoided if I paid more attention and had the capability to stay calm. You may be right about the mental issues and external factors. I’ve had a rough childhood with a dysfunctional family and we were always moving cities/countries. I don’t want to sound like I’m pitying myself but I think this has something to do with the way I am

D

Deedee3500

Do you take anything for your anxiety?
no, I don’t. Here where I live, public health service has really bad shrinks, they tell
me stuff like ‘try distracting yourself with friends and family’ and don’t acknowledge any issues let alone prescribe medication. Also I can’t afford private healthcare so I don’t really have much of a choice

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

no, I don’t. Here where I live, public health service has really bad shrinks, they tell
me stuff like ‘try distracting yourself with friends and family’ and don’t acknowledge any issues let alone prescribe medication. Also I can’t afford private healthcare so I don’t really have much of a choice
I'm really sorry to hear that. :(

FigBar

FigBar

I'm a 2nd year physics student and with my classes starting to ramp up I've been finding myself in the same predicament. A lot of my work doesn't involve physical activity so I can't relate to you there, and I haven't found the magic routine to get the work done. My advice to you is to start early, make a list, and do one small thing at a time with breaks in between. Try to do something easy but still productive (I consider watching motivational videos on pinterest productive) in these breaks so you won't beat yourself up for not getting enough done. In my experience doing these small steps create a domino effect that will lead to motivation to get the work done, but sometimes it doesn't. Just push through and know you can do it, I hope my advice can help at least a little bit.