• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

imitation of someone I don't like? Help. Panic attack

B

bobbyassustado

(sorry about my english) --- So, there's this person in my class, and he's very annoying. He thinks only his opinions are valid and true, and things like that... for him, other people opinions are always wrong... It's very annoying to talk with someone like that. He's always saying like "Ok, prove me that your point is legit"..... about everything.... If I say that I like the color Blue, he will say: Explain me why blue is good..... Annoying!

That said, yesterday I was talking with a good friend of mine, and she asked me about which toothpaste I like to use.... i said X and she said she like Y. That's when things got terrible for me, because I naturally catch myself asking her to defend her choice for me... to explain me why Y.

Yes, the behavior that I completely Hate. And I was doing the same. And it was not an intrusive thought. No... it came naturally. That's why it's killing me. I don't want this! Now I feel i'm like this annoying guy. It's terrible.

Now i'm having panic attacks about it. Can someone give me a outside vision? Is it normal to end up imitating some behaviors?

B

bobbyassustado

I forgot to explain, I didn't get to the point of asking her to defend her choice, we were talking by text, and I deleted it just when I realized I was sounding like him! And there's another difference: When he asks everybody, he does it to prove they're wrong... But I was just trying to see if she could convince me that her toothpaste was good too. But anyway, the fact of sounding like him is what's disturbing me. The fact of his vocabulary popped up in my mind like it was mine!

I also started on taking Prozac 4 days ago. maybe i'm overthinking and feeling all of this because of that? Even before this fact happen, I was exaggerating the way this guy effects me... It's all my anxiety. It shouldnt be annoying that much. Other mates dont care about him being annoying that much as I do.

Right now it feels like the end of my world. Really. Like i'm not myself anymore. Like "how could this happen to me?" "it happens with other people"? I'm scared

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

:welcome: to the forum

May I ask how old you are Bobby?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I forgot to explain, I didn't get to the point of asking her to defend her choice, we were talking by text, and I deleted it just when I realized I was sounding like him! And there's another difference: When he asks everybody, he does it to prove they're wrong... But I was just trying to see if she could convince me that her toothpaste was good too. But anyway, the fact of sounding like him is what's disturbing me. The fact of his vocabulary popped up in my mind like it was mine!
I've bolded your own words because I think that is a really important difference.
You were coming from a place of genuine curiosity and it sounds like your mind was open to your friend's answer about the toothpaste, whereas the person you describe doesn't sound very open-minded at all - in fact it sounds as though he perhaps just likes to be provocative and controversial.

I know that when you really dislike a behaviour in somebody, it can lead to self-doubt and a fear that you have that trait.
But as an outsider, I think your conversation with your friend was totally different. I don't know how much you believe me when I say that? :)
Sometimes we need to convince ourselves that we're ok before we can accept hearing it from others.

4 days isn't really long enough to notice much difference with taking prozac, but I hope it helps you.
Have you been on anti-depressants before?
Whilst it's very rare, sometimes they can actually make people feel worse. If within a few weeks you don't notice any difference or if you start to feel suicidal, go back to the doctor straight away.
I don't say that to cause any alarm, by the way. I'm sure you'll be ok, but it's always good to take note of how you're feeling in yourself.

B

bobbyassustado

Thanks SomersetScorpio. I'm a little better now, but still scared about this event. I already took ante-depressants before yes, don't worry!

What really scared me was the way of life of that guy popping up on my head like it was myself. But I've been thinking... I may have done this before in my life... Absorving vocabularies and behaviors of others... Even if I Don't exactly like it, or causes me anxiety............this is probably a human thing, idk..... I hope it is. I'm still scared about it.

(srry about my english again)