• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Imagining that people I know are in the room and watching me

R

Rac86

About 3 years ago I was diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder and I've been seeing a councillor for 6 months and am about to finish. I've mentioned it to her and she didn't really say anything about it but it still bothers me and I wish I could get rid or them. It started years ago when I felt my old teachers were just standing in the corner watching what I was doing. They wouldnt say anything, just follow me around the house, walk through doors when I shut them, and just wouldnt go away. I told my mum but she didn't really know what to say so I just tried to ignore it.Then it changed to people at school, mostly people who had bullied me. As I grew up, the people would change and it's been like that ever since, probably 15 years or more. Sometimes it's people who I respect, sometimes it's people who I feel didn't like me. Recently it's my counsellor so I don't dare tell her that I'm imagining she's following me round all week!*Should I just get used to the fact that they're always going to be there? I know people have paranoia like they're being watched but this is different. More personal. I've even imagined that people from my past have special technology that can find me and see what I'm doing. It's so annoying. I just want to move on but it doesn't help when I feel like I'm being judged by all the people I've ever known who meant something to me or hurt me.

I've also recently developed an alter ego; the person I would like to be and I find great comfort imagining that she's in the room. She's like a friend. She looks like me but she's more confident and she even gives me advice which is weird since I know I'm talking to myself. Sometimes I can talk to her and she gives me strength but I'm worried all of this is bad. I've tried imagining them walk out of the room, I've tried telling them to go away. Have I developed some mental disorder like one where people hear voices? I don't hear them, just see them.

Just some reassurance would be nice to know I'm not going crazy, or that I'm a freek.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I really think that you should tell your counsellor your going through these types of thoughts. Maybe you could print out what you've typed here and give it to her. The fact that this is making you live in fear and giving you paranoid thoughts isn't good for your mental health. No it doesn't mean your crazy or a freak. That's just stigma talking. It's something you really should explore as to find the roots of why your having these thoughts. Your counsellor is the best one to help with that.

In the Clouds

In the Clouds

Sorry this post won't be that helpful as my experience is different. But I imagine people watching me too, like in an exam I imagine a family member or teacher watching what I'm writing. Or just out an about, if something reminds me of a person I imagine them watching and well, not quite judging, but like it's a test and I have to do what I'm doing right and impress them. Or like my mum or grandad looking at me and seeing if I'm making them proud. It's really weird, and it's not quite gone but I can mostly ignore it now, as I know I'm not doing anything wrong and it's all just my imagination. I do it so subconsciously that I haven't registered that it's not normal.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I really think that you should tell your counsellor your going through these types of thoughts. Maybe you could print out what you've typed here and give it to her. The fact that this is making you live in fear and giving you paranoid thoughts isn't good for your mental health. No it doesn't mean your crazy or a freak. That's just stigma talking. It's something you really should explore as to find the roots of why your having these thoughts. Your counsellor is the best one to help with that.
I agree with G and :welcome: to the forum.

N

Na321

I think I may have something similar. I always imagine people around me, I can't see them but I always feel other people's presences around me and I have conversations that I make up in my head with them. I never thought anything of it but recently I've started trying to get myself to stop thinking they are there and I can't. Also in writing this sounds quite creepy but in person I don't find it scary I just don't think its normal so I want to stop but I don't know how.Is it normal?I don't know if everyone has this and im just unaware.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 3