Imaginary Friends in Adults

ThreeBestFriends

ThreeBestFriends

I'm over the age of 25 and I still have imaginary friends. I have two main ones (they all look human, nothing crazy). They have grown up with me and I believe maybe I was about 7 or 8 when they first appeared.

I do not know what this is but I don't think it's DID. I definitely know that they aren't there and I don't hear random voices. I have never experienced childhood trauma, besides a lot of bullying. I'm wondering if this is a coping mechanism or something else. Possibly both.

When these friends are around, I'm not myself. I'm an alter-ego, of sorts. I see myself how i would ideally look, act, etc. I actually call myself 'Theresa' and that is not my real name. Lol

I'm wondering if anyone has ever experienced this or possibly knows what it is.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m not sure about this , can you see the people in front of you or are they just visualised and do they speak to you.

ThreeBestFriends

ThreeBestFriends

They're just visualized and yeah, they speak to me. It's as if you're sitting with friends and just chatting. I just know they aren't actually there.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
From my experience as a voice hearer I've come to believe that humans have two minds sharing the same body, you could say we have a passenger mind or a twin brother/sister within us.

They're capable of much more than talking to us, they can put thoughts, images, ideas and feelings into our minds.

I believe these two friends of yours are being generated by your twin mind in order to speak to you and are not from your imagination.

It sounds like yours is really nice to you so I wouldn't say either of you are mentally ill in anyway. My twin brother is mentally ill, he has OCD (won't stop talking), psychopathic tendencies (learned to cause me pain) and is a sociopath (thinks only of himself and doesn't know right from wrong) whereas I'm quite healthy with just a little social anxiety.

I see no reason for you to be worried about any of it, enjoy your relationship but if things ever turn nasty then know there is medication that can help.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Other Conditions and Experiences 1