• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm worried..

W

WanderingA

So my child starts nursery tomorrow and they've said I have to stay in there for the hour and a half for her settling in session. This goes on for 3 days then next week she does it by herself.. I am worried about this. I had anxiety before all this virus but knowing that I have to be in one room with other parents and children absolutely scares the crap out of me.. I'm trying so hard to be strong for my children! And I know my child really needs this. But how am I going to do this????. The nursery have told me I have to be there the whole time.. Does anyone have any ideas I can do to keep my mind busy? Or situations they've been in similar to this. I'm freaking out......

bpd2020

bpd2020

I can understand you feeling anxious. Are you concerned about being in a crowd or are you concerned about the virus?

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

Treat it like school when you were a child, helps me get out of nervous situations. Or a time you felt comfortable emotionally?_

W

WanderingA

I think it's both.. I don't like being in situations where I can't go anywhere of have access to fresh air. I have major social anxiety too so people make me nervous as it is so knowing that someone could have the virus and I'm trapped in a room with them scares me silly!!.

W

WanderingA

Treat it like school when you were a child, helps me get out of nervous situations. Or a time you felt comfortable emotionally?_
What do u mean by treat it like school?? I haven't felt comfortable for about 3 years i feel like I'm always on edge...

bpd2020

bpd2020

That is such a difficult situation for you. With the virus I would hope any parent who has symptoms would not be there so hopefully that will not be an issue. I wonder if you can concentrate on taking deep, relaxing breaths. Remind yourself that you are safe and your child will have a happy time at nursery. I really do feel for you. It is so hard to have social anxiety but have to be in a social situation.

W

WanderingA

That is such a difficult situation for you. With the virus I would hope any parent who has symptoms would not be there so hopefully that will not be an issue. I wonder if you can concentrate on taking deep, relaxing breaths. Remind yourself that you are safe and your child will have a happy time at nursery. I really do feel for you. It is so hard to have social anxiety but have to be in a social situation.
I just don't want to let my child down. I know I have to do this. I'm hoping no one would be silly enough to attend but I still just cannot stop worrying. I know when it comes to these situations I work myself up so much then when I'm actually in that situation it could go either way. My main fear is having a panic attack in front of my child. For 3 years I've tried so hard to hide all this from my children so they don't worry.. Im really hoping I can get through this..

W

WanderingA

School= being responsible.
I think of times I'm emotionally relaxed.
Right I understand.. Yes I can try this. I can normally calm myself down when I start to feel a panic attack coming which is good but my process means going somewhere I can get fresh air and this isn't possible when I take my child as were not allowed to leave them!! I don't want my fight or flight mode to go on! As I'll be in a situation where I can't run

bpd2020

bpd2020

In my eyes you are a wonderful mother. You put your children first and care deeply for them. I am very sorry you are so worried about this and you are putting yourself under so much pressure to have to hide how you are feeling.

W

WanderingA

In my eyes you are a wonderful mother. You put your children first and care deeply for them. I am very sorry you are so worried about this and you are putting yourself under so much pressure to have to hide how you are feeling.
That really means alot! Thank you so much. I've always tried so hard and sometimes I try to hard I end up making myself worse.. Ill always push myself into situations I'm uncomfortable with just to get over my fears..

bpd2020

bpd2020

Rather then pushing yourself into uncomfortable situations, I wonder if taking smaller steps may be an idea? I know in this circumstance you have no choice as you have to take your child to nursery.

W

WanderingA

Rather then pushing yourself into uncomfortable situations, I wonder if taking smaller steps may be an idea? I know in this circumstance you have no choice as you have to take your child to nursery.
The situations I am most uncomfortable with is taking my eldest to school and the whole new experience with taking my youngest. Unfortunately they are the most uncomfortable situations but I don't have a choice I have to force myself to do this. The other things like going to shops/town really scare me but I don't need to go there yet I can ease myself into that.. But unfortunately these 2 are the ones that scare me the most but I have to do them..

bpd2020

bpd2020

It must be so hard to have to take your child to school while having social anxiety. I really feel for you. I remember my mum never interacted with the parents at school and always kept away. Being a parent involves so much interaction.

W

WanderingA

It really does.. I try really hard to speak to other mums and dad's having my youngest on the pick up makes it so much more difficult because I can't just pick up my eldest and go my youngest always runs around being a typical child that won't listen then it brings unwanted attention to us as everyone stares.. Its so frustrating. But this is the reason I med to get over this if I don't take her to nursery tomorrow she won't meet new friends and there's no break for me.. I'm going to pick my eldest up then come back and try to relax as much as I can and see if I can shift some of this negative into positive!!