• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I'm trying

P

perkyplant

I've been struggling with my anxiety and depression for a really long time now, my 23rd birthday is just around the corner and I have been battling this since I was 14. I feel like I just get left behind in life, and I keep trying to do things like studying, working even volunteering but every time I start doing well it's like my brain just fights against me and I just get worse. I end up quitting before I finish anything because I feel so deeply unhappy, like I'm drowning in responsibility. I'm not working right now. I'm currently living at home with my mum and brother (who also suffer from mental illnesses) and it feels like I'm never going to 'grow up' and do the adult things I am supposed to be doing right now. I'm struggling to get up in the morning, to eat 3 times a day, even just go outside. I'm so confused as to why my brain is like this, and why I can't just live a 'normal' life. My dad is always so dissapointed in me, he just wants the best for me and he knows the best is earning an income, going out and seeing people, spending time with family etc. I just want to be alone, I just can't function in society.

M

MarkClarke

I feel your pain i'm pretty much in the same situation as you and nothing seems to get bettter no matter how many times i try i just want you to know that you're not alone in this

L

LouiseMN

So sorry for how you feel. Coming here is good. Are you getting any help? Meds or talking to someone? My daughter was like you at your age. She tried antidepressants and then found out she had bipolar disorder. Not to scare you. Depression is a less scary diagnosis but can also be severe. I hope you are getting some help.

P

perkyplant

So sorry for how you feel. Coming here is good. Are you getting any help? Meds or talking to someone? My daughter was like you at your age. She tried antidepressants and then found out she had bipolar disorder. Not to scare you. Depression is a less scary diagnosis but can also be severe. I hope you are getting some help.
It's okay, posting here has made me realise I am not completely alone, I just don't know what to do. My GP's always trying new medications, I have tried Fluxotine, citalopram and now Setraline. I've been told to get in contact with a place called 'time to talk' too but the waiting list is very long, so I haven't even had the motivation to call them yet. It has to be a self referral. I have no idea what is wrong with my brain, I just want help figuring it out. Thank you for your reply, I hope your daughter is well. Getting help is scary in general. Getting the wrong diagnosis is far too common.

P

perkyplant

I feel your pain i'm pretty much in the same situation as you and nothing seems to get bettter no matter how many times i try i just want you to know that you're not alone in this
You are not alone in this either, I guess figuring this stuff out just isn't as easy for some of us as it is for others.

L

LouiseMN

It's okay, posting here has made me realise I am not completely alone, I just don't know what to do. My GP's always trying new medications, I have tried Fluxotine, citalopram and now Setraline. I've been told to get in contact with a place called 'time to talk' too but the waiting list is very long, so I haven't even had the motivation to call them yet. It has to be a self referral. I have no idea what is wrong with my brain, I just want help figuring it out. Thank you for your reply, I hope your daughter is well. Getting help is scary in general. Getting the wrong diagnosis is far too common.
I started with a GP too, and so did my daughter. Then it is for sure trial and error. If you can, you to get referred to a psychiatrist. They are hard to find. I have to drive 50 miles!

L

LouiseMN

I started with a GP too, and so did my daughter. Then it is for sure trial and error. If you can, you to get referred to a psychiatrist. They are hard to find. I have to drive 50 miles!
And.. See the thread "A Success story" about my daughter.

S

stankgyna

You’re not alone, perkyplant.

I’ve been doing the figuring out medication now at 32. I’ve struggled since my teens. It’s hard to push forward when all you know is the down feelings.

I feel mental illness isn’t taken seriously yet or it’s just so overcrowded because of the progress. Therapy is like pulling teeth to find the right fit. I sometimes go a month without talking to a professional because they are overbooked. I find it ironic that we have to fight so hard for this when we don’t want to even function.

Do you have any other outlets? I do music, art, and journal. Even if I bounce around them like crazy. Finishing projects is still rough but it’s soothing when I work on things. Hang in there, doing what you can then stopping is just the way it is for me. Things can get better for a while.

daydreamsandicecreams

daydreamsandicecreams

I've been struggling with my anxiety and depression for a really long time now, my 23rd birthday is just around the corner and I have been battling this since I was 14. I feel like I just get left behind in life, and I keep trying to do things like studying, working even volunteering but every time I start doing well it's like my brain just fights against me and I just get worse. I end up quitting before I finish anything because I feel so deeply unhappy, like I'm drowning in responsibility. I'm not working right now. I'm currently living at home with my mum and brother (who also suffer from mental illnesses) and it feels like I'm never going to 'grow up' and do the adult things I am supposed to be doing right now. I'm struggling to get up in the morning, to eat 3 times a day, even just go outside. I'm so confused as to why my brain is like this, and why I can't just live a 'normal' life. My dad is always so dissapointed in me, he just wants the best for me and he knows the best is earning an income, going out and seeing people, spending time with family etc. I just want to be alone, I just can't function in society.

Hello,

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way, I’m currently 23 and I believe that when I was around 14 I began to get depression/anxiety. I’ve always just wanted to live a “normal” life and have cursed every second that my anxiety/depression didn’t allow me to. But now I realize a bit that not everyone’s life is “normal” and that doesn’t even exist. But knowing that doesn’t make things easier necessarily.
I don’t think that not being in society would make us any more happy, or maybe it would if that truly makes you happy. A cabin in the woods somewhere with a nice garden? That sounds pretty nice, maybe?
What do you feel like you have a lot of responsibility over? Maybe it’s something you can turn into a passion project or something that makes you less stressed?