• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I'm trying to stop complaining

M

Misssad1111

I complain a lot because I'm unhappy and I was raised with a mother that complained a lot and she was most of my social interaction growing up. I'm trying to think of a realistic way to cut back on my complaining, by replacing it with a different kind of conversation.

Any suggestions?

F

Fairy Rapunzel

I think when we're dealing with negative emotions, we need to find healthy ways to deal with it. So writing or creating art or something is a good way to handle these emotions. Sometimes we feel like we must be positive, but when we're depressed or angry we shouldn't hide it. But we should find a healthy way to deal with all of it. Maybe keeping a journal could help. Oh speaking of journals, a lot of people on youtube have created videos about journals and they are really interesting to watch because people use a lot of their creativity to create poems or art in their journals. Whether it's because of depression or a good day, finding a healthy way to deal with emotions is important I think. Well I hope you find something that works for you and good luck with everything!

:grouphug:

M

Misssad1111

I think when we're dealing with negative emotions, we need to find healthy ways to deal with it. So writing or creating art or something is a good way to handle these emotions. Sometimes we feel like we must be positive, but when we're depressed or angry we shouldn't hide it. But we should find a healthy way to deal with all of it. Maybe keeping a journal could help. Oh speaking of journals, a lot of people on youtube have created videos about journals and they are really interesting to watch because people use a lot of their creativity to create poems or art in their journals. Whether it's because of depression or a good day, finding a healthy way to deal with emotions is important I think. Well I hope you find something that works for you and good luck with everything!

:grouphug:
I'm not gifted with art or writing. i wouldn't know what to write besides my complaint. I don't like exercising either...

I'm looking for ways to decrease complaining in my regular conversation, not just decreasing complaining in general.

F

Fairy Rapunzel

I'm not gifted with art or writing. i wouldn't know what to write besides my complaint. I don't like exercising either...

I'm looking for ways to decrease complaining in my regular conversation, not just decreasing complaining in general.
I believe we can all learn many things whether it's with art or writing or music. But I understand what you mean. I actually complain quite a lot. I feel like I used to complain more several years ago. What helped me was focusing on my interests. Maybe focus on your interests and share that with others. Or try watching a new movie or show or read a new book and talk to other fans about your favorite characters. Things like that might be able to help you come up with new ideas on what to talk about. Learning something new can also be a good idea, that way you'll have something else to talk about with people. Good luck with everything!

I

IDontCare99

I complain a lot because I'm unhappy and I was raised with a mother that complained a lot and she was most of my social interaction growing up. I'm trying to think of a realistic way to cut back on my complaining, by replacing it with a different kind of conversation.

Any suggestions?
I think it depends on the people you surround yourself with. Some people might complain out of boredom.

I

IDontCare99

Usually if you're surrounded by the right people, you complain less...because you're having too much fun to complain.

M

Misssad1111

I think it depends on the people you surround yourself with. Some people might complain out of boredom.
Other people complaining isn't the issue. My complaining is out of hand and unpleasant and idk how to stop complaining so much, it's basically who I am.

I

IDontCare99

Other people complaining isn't the issue. My complaining is out of hand and unpleasant and idk how to stop complaining so much, it's basically who I am.
That's what I'm talking about...Perhaps you are bored.

I

IDontCare99

Or surrounded by people that stress you out?

M

Mister Vertigo

@Misssad1111
Have you tried replacing negativity with positivity, for example, instead of saying 'I can't write/draw' or 'I don't like exercise' - just give it a proper go anyway?

M

Mister Vertigo

@Misssad1111 'Idk how to stop complaining so much, it's basically who I am."
"no, thats just not how I function"
" My complaining is out of hand and unpleasant"

It sounds a lot like you are not happy with the way you are , but that you feel there is nothing you can do about it. If you really want to accept that this is how you are, and that is that, then surely this in itself is a reason to not complain? As in, ppl complain when they want change. Have you totally given up on working on negative traits & thinking?