• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm too scared to go to my GP :(

J

Jisatsu

I am female and 16 years of age.
I've been self harming since I was 8 and when my Mother found out she took me to the Dr, but I refused to see a counsellor.
For years now I have just felt so down. In year 9 I felt so bad I tried committing suicide twice and then once more in year 10.
I have a boyfriend now who had been my friend for 2 years beforehand and he helps me a lot.. but sometimes I still get down and he feels guilty for not being able to make me happy. I then feel guilty for making him feel this way & also get irate for him always thinking it's about him :(

I have been told to see my GP but I am just so worried about going. I'm worried about what they will say and also the fact that sooner or later I would have to tell my parents. I can't stand confronting them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A

Ainsworth

i think you know you need to see a doctor about how you are feeling. it may be a case of you need to talk about things and maybe do the counselling. i think at 16 your parents wont be told anything about it until you do that yourself.

just go and see what they say and take it from there. take your boyfriend with you for support.

good luck :)

J

Jisatsu

Thanks for the reply :) I'm trying to pluck up the courage to make an appointment with my doctor at the moment and then I need to sort out a time and way to get there without my parents knowing :( I'm too embarrassed for them to know about how I'm feeling.

A

Ainsworth

i remember being scared when i was 16, i wish now i had tried to be open with the doctors and told them how i was feeling, it may not of been such a struggle now.

20 years on im still on the rollercoaster :(

keep us updated about the appointment :)

J

Jisatsu

Ok :) If I ever do manage to be brave enough :eek:

W

whatstheproblem?

Im also really worried about seeing the dr. I know I have to see her, as my recent medication is not working - all it makes me do is sleep for 14 hours and still be exhausted when I wAke! Reason I'm worried aboutbit is she said she would have to refere me to psychiatrist if I wasn't any better by now, and I don't want that. However, know i can't get any better if I shut my dr out, si making appointment tomorrow.... It's not easy at all, butvwe sometimes have to admit there's no other way and give in... Hope you're okay, and hope you go sooner rather than wait until it's too late... x

C

Clucky111

Founding Member
Hello,

I know how you feel, I was 16 when I went to the doctors.

They can't say ANYTHING to your parents now, you're 16 and therefore you have more control. My Mum only found out when she found a letter I'd got to be referred for counselling, but because I hadn't brought it up, it was much easier to say then..she still doesn't know the full extent - but that's because no matter what I'd say she'd think my sister was worse off :mad: She didn't find out about my medication either until she saw it in my room - but then she was never one to just ask.

I was in the sixth form when I first went tho..I think I went in a free lesson. Could you do something similar?

Hope everything's going smoothly for you :)

D

danbrown87

Please just ring them, make an appointment, and go! I know it's hard, I waited years and even then kept it a secret from everyone. But in my opinion things are easier to deal with if you get everything out in the open from day 1. I don't mean shouting it from the roof tops or anything, just let your parents know.

Even if you decide not to tell them, then please, just make that appointment and go. I wish I'd done it earlier. There's absolutely no harm at all that can come from going to your GP and asking for help. I can remember how scared I was, my voice was shaking etc. but the relief was almost unimaginable.

Even if you don't feel like you can make the appointment straight away, you could try looking at some self-help books. Reading these really puts into perspective the fact that mental illness is real and that it's OK to look for help. But my advice, ring them, now. Hope this helps.

geekchic182

geekchic182

I'm 17 and I was in the same boat as you about 5 months ago over feeling too scared to go to the doctor and talk to my parents. Luckily I have a good relationship with my parents and even though it took me a VERY long time, I managed to confront them about how i was feeling, however I've also been suffering with an eating disorder so my problem was more visible to both myself and the people around me. I still find it awkward and difficult talking entirely honestly with my family but it makes me feel supported and stronger within myself.
You have to remember that your GP isn't going to judge you, and (as disheartening as this phrase was to me) there are many more people who have been in that place seeking help. You might realize you can take comfort in a visit to the GP in the knowledge that you'll start recovering and feeling better.
Best of wishes x