• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I'm thinking about euthanasia TW

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

My depression is mostly caused by politics. I'm fed up with all those quarrels, stupid decision, patriotism and such. I feel I don't fit on the times I use to live. I'm thinking about euthanasia from time to time, especially when I'm very stressed and frightened. If the world looked in another way, I'd like it. Have you also have similar thoughts?

Passionflower

Passionflower

I have thought about it but they wont euthanise based on mental health problems, so I have given it up as a bad idea.

ht46

ht46

My depression is mostly caused by politics. I'm fed up with all those quarrels, stupid decision, patriotism and such. I feel I don't fit on the times I use to live. I'm thinking about euthanasia from time to time, especially when I'm very stressed and frightened. If the world looked in another way, I'd like it. Have you also have similar thoughts?
Always, you should learn the fine art of not give a [email protected]# read philosophy instead of politics you'll learn more and learn how not to be triggered by politics this is what I do, try and enjoy yourself time is precious especially if you have depression try and focus creating moments you are happy. There's a saying "opinions are like [email protected]#es and everyones got one". Try and become indifferent to the paradoxical and enjoy some time simple pleasures that make you happy Like looking out the window, tea or coffee, music a bit of leisure just take a load off.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
The threat of a return to homelessness can provoke similar for me. Not politics so much. As I have a simplistic view on that topic.

We are a tribalist species, always have been always likely will be. Cultures rise and fall by pillaging from other cultures until they too are pillaged. Values shift and have violently been fought for and against throughout history. This is just reality, it's nothing new. Politics has always been this way. What has changed is instant access to the spectacle which has magnified the seeming ferocity of it all. Even though these are some of the most peaceful times we have enjoyed, with the highest standards of living to date. But due to the ease of access to the spectacle we can glut on it .Magnify those fears to the point the big picture can drown out the self alongside hope and joy. These days you have to actively hunt for positive news. As terror sells better.

Sometimes you have to bring your focus back to yourself. What can you do in the present to fulfill yourself? What can you enjoy despite the bigger picture? What solace can you take in smaller comforts? Have you experimented with a media black out? Focusing on just you and your own goals or aspirations?

There is a quote that has stuck with me. " Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm." Life has always been a storm, conflict and pain are guaranteed. So with that knowledge the question becomes what value can you find despite all this? For me it is creating memories with my loved ones. It doesn't matter the heat death of the universe will occur eventually and I will be entirely forgotten. That does not detract from the joy of getting my ass handed to me by my niece on mario kart. It may seem simple but its these simple pleasures that make a bulwark against the pain that exists alongside living. Makes the absurdity we are surrounded by more bearable to weather.

If politics is driving you into depression then look elsewhere. Ask yourself does looking at the spectacle and fretting over it improve anything in your life or make it worse? The only value it maybe has is allowing you to prepare for changes that may damage you. But beyond that we are mostly powerless. So may as well grow our own strengths and build our own bulwark out of whatever provides value. I am not sure what you value or are passionate for outside of politics? But maybe examine that and cultivate more of that in your life.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

Eh, I'm also sad when artists and people say "There're worse and worse in my country". Moreover there were two big protests in Poland, first against the decision of Tribunal Court deciding eugenic abortion is illegal, second strike in media because our government want private and foreign one to pay taxes from ads.

ht46

ht46

Eh, I'm also sad when artists and people say "There're worse and worse in my country". Moreover there were two big protests in Poland, first against the decision of Tribunal Court deciding eugenic abortion is illegal, second strike in media because our government want private and foreign one to pay taxes from ads.
You don't have to be a martyr for the truth, conserve yourself.

HLon99

HLon99

Politics is a dismal topic, I try to read as little news as possible. Only the bare minimum to keep me informed about the world around me, but more I try to focus making my own little corner of the world a better place. You should aim to have an internal locus of control in life, such that external event, particularly ones that are far outside your ability to control, don't affect you as much. You will be better equiped to deal with the world that way, and more capable of expressing agency and making changes to your personal life.

I'm not even too fond of the idea of assisted suicide for terminal physical conditions because its a slippery slope. If they legalise it, there is the question of where they will draw the line. Its a pathway to full blown Eugenics programmes and fascist governments trying to eradicate those who they don't completely fit into the norm of society. Imagine if you will someone like Stephen Hawking, a brilliant mind who suffered from a debhillitating physical condition. Nevertheless, he beat all the odds and expectations of him doctors, lived a life of achievement and contribution. Imagine if we lived under a government who would eradicate those kinds of people. Its just ruthless and cynical idea. Of course, I realise that there are some people who suffer a great deal of pain at the end of their lives and their situation does not improve. But these days there are modes of palliative care that can ease their transition from this world into the next

But thats about physical illness. As for Euthanasia for people with mental disorders, I think its a terrible idea. Yes, some people suffer but there are some people who are able to live full and meaningful lives. And even for those that don't recover, make the best out of their anguish and contribute in their own way to make this world a better place. Think of Vincent Van Gogh. Suffered from bipolar disorder all his life, but a genius artist. And I know that he supposedly commited suicide (although thats been disputed in recent year and it is now believed that he was accidently shot by two boys from his neighboorhood who were playing with a gun and before he passed from his wounds 2 days after being shot, he said that he tried to kill himself to protect them from facing the death penalty for murder). But even supposed he did in fact commit suicide, the time that he had on this earth, although with an unquiet mind was filled with beauty and he is now revered to be the greatest artist of his generation.

Whatever your situation, you owe it to yourself to look at each day as a gift and not give up on life. There's more than can be done than meets the eye, more life than can be lived if you let your intuition be your guide. Now ask yourself, are you really ready to check out because of such a supeficial and mercurial subject such as Politics? I think not.

AlwaysinCrown

AlwaysinCrown

TW
As I know legal euthanasia for foreigners is available in Switzerland. I want to free myself from this world, live in a better one or just nothing, no matter if life after death exists or not.

HLon99

HLon99

TW
As I know legal euthanasia for foreigners is available in Switzerland. I want to free myself from this world, live in a better one or just nothing, no matter if life after death exists or not.
The world is neither good nor evil. It just is. There is agony, misery and misfortune in this world; but equally there is beauty, justice and civility. When you're depressed it easy to focus on the negatives, but if you look hard enough you will find the path to bliss and inner peace. The jorney won't be an easy one, but it will make you a stronger person in the end.

I think right now, you are in a state where you judgement is clouded by your depression. But take some time to feel better, face this issue with a cool head, with quiet equanimity and rationality and you will find that life is worth living.

ht46

ht46

TW
Don't do that I like your posts, you're a caring person. You just need to learn how to be indifferent . All there are to these political issues are different shades of apparentness no one actually understands the world or life it's far more complex than politics too complex for us humans.

HLon99

HLon99

The threat of a return to homelessness can provoke similar for me. Not politics so much. As I have a simplistic view on that topic.

We are a tribalist species, always have been always likely will be. Cultures rise and fall by pillaging from other cultures until they too are pillaged. Values shift and have violently been fought for and against throughout history. This is just reality, it's nothing new. Politics has always been this way. What has changed is instant access to the spectacle which has magnified the seeming ferocity of it all. Even though these are some of the most peaceful times we have enjoyed, with the highest standards of living to date. But due to the ease of access to the spectacle we can glut on it .Magnify those fears to the point the big picture can drown out the self alongside hope and joy. These days you have to actively hunt for positive news. As terror sells better.

Sometimes you have to bring your focus back to yourself. What can you do in the present to fulfill yourself? What can you enjoy despite the bigger picture? What solace can you take in smaller comforts? Have you experimented with a media black out? Focusing on just you and your own goals or aspirations?

There is a quote that has stuck with me. " Serenity is not freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm." Life has always been a storm, conflict and pain are guaranteed. So with that knowledge the question becomes what value can you find despite all this? For me it is creating memories with my loved ones. It doesn't matter the heat death of the universe will occur eventually and I will be entirely forgotten. That does not detract from the joy of getting my ass handed to me by my niece on mario kart. It may seem simple but its these simple pleasures that make a bulwark against the pain that exists alongside living. Makes the absurdity we are surrounded by more bearable to weather.

If politics is driving you into depression then look elsewhere. Ask yourself does looking at the spectacle and fretting over it improve anything in your life or make it worse? The only value it maybe has is allowing you to prepare for changes that may damage you. But beyond that we are mostly powerless. So may as well grow our own strengths and build our own bulwark out of whatever provides value. I am not sure what you value or are passionate for outside of politics? But maybe examine that and cultivate more of that in your life.
Beutiful words.

D

diabolicalme

Not only am I continuing to struggle with my own unbearable depression and terror/fear/dread/extreme anxiety, but this world is so so so politically corrupt and people are now so angry and divided full of hate. I don’t fit in. And the politics and how we are all forced to live doesn’t look like it will ever change (I’m in my 50s and been fighting for a fairer, more just world for 40 years, however, it has got worse in so many ways, not better). I don’t know how to live with this any more and have lost all interest in life, in living. It’s a difficult one as I would definitely try to persuade others, including you, NOT to go down this path! And yes, as someone else here said, the euthanasia clinics will not take you on for mental health reasons. I have chronic physical disease (which depresses me immensely in itself) but it’s not terminal, so again it’s not a valid reason for the euthanasia clinics to take me on. My idea to do it myself but It’s not so easy though, I’ve been down this path several times over the last few years (and wasted lots of $$$ on this) and realised it’s almost impossible to buy the drugs safely and reliably on the internet, or get any doctor to prescribe them but are unable to prescribe these for me!!). So, all probably a big waste of money and futile, but I understand your desperation and thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JeanPierre

Well, I think euthanasia should be legal.
On the other hand.....wtf?....ya'll looking to die b/c of politics? That is flat crazy. LOL
Just stop watching that. Social media is really not your friend.

J

JeanPierre

I hear you. I'm so sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: