• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm taking a vow of silence (I feel ashamed of myself)

SicklyBloom

SicklyBloom

Yesterday I got in an argument with my mother and now I feel disgusted in myself. There's nobody to blame but me in this situation and I don't feel sorry for myself. Yes, I know that I'm not in the best head space, but it gives me no right to act so disrespectfully. Instead of harming myself, I decided to take an approach that would benefit me in the long run. I thought that taking a vow of silence would not only help me learn to be a better listener, but also help me think about how actions speak louder than words. I haven't done this before and it can be challenging at first, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm not doing this out of pity or spite, I'm doing this as a personal exercise that'll help me appreciate my voice. Words are a powerful thing though and I've learned that the hard way. Be careful what you say and how you say it because there will be people that won't forget them. I agree that I've been the victim and then again, I've been the perpetrator too. I just want to be a better person and have balance between myself and others. I'm tired of feeling sickeningly guilty whenever I do something for myself or don't feel like I'm doing enough for others.

So, with this vow of silence, I'm signing off. Wish me luck!

bpd2020

bpd2020

It sounds like you taking a vow of silence is just a different way of punishing yourself. You are not a bad person to have argued with your mother. People argue with loved ones all the time. It is just part of having relationships with others. I really hope you can forgive yourself.