• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment

katya

katya

I've been on anti-depressants for nearly a whole year now, and while I do feel better, in that I don't have the ridiculous lows I used to have, I still feel quite worthless and anxious about things. It's as though the grip has loosened but it's nowhere near ready to let go.

I'm waiting on some high-intensity CBT therapy, which I've needed for bloody ages. I'm just wondering, did any of you feel this way before CBT, and did it help in the end?

I don't want my life to kind of spiral again and go to shit, but it's hard to keep a sense of optimism.

Thanks for reading.

M

Mastiff mom

Dear mirth, I'm so sorry it's taking them so long to get you the health you desire. There are many antdeprents out there and perhaps the one you are on isn't effective but these are things to talk to your doc about. Wishing you the best of luck!

katya

katya

Thanks for your kind words. :)

I have an appointment with my doctor soon so I'll let him know that the symptoms are still persisting.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi jruth,

I think CBT helped me somewhat with my depressive episodes and I still use some of the methods which I found to be useful, particularly mindfulness. It took me a few goes at it though. I was quite dismissive to start with and couldn't see how CBT could possibly be applied to what I was going through. But yes, it definitely has it's benefits. You have to put in quite a lot of work though if you want to make the most of it.

As Mastiff mom said, it's certainly worth talking with your doctor if you don't feel as though your antidepressants are working as well as they should. It's tricky with medication and getting it right can be pretty hit and miss. This said, as you probably know, there's no magic pill that will make everything okay. It could be that the medication you are taking is working as well as any and you just need the additional therapy to make everything come together. Everyone's different.

Anyway, I hope that all goes well. Let us know how you get on.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I agree with Purple Chaos. I am doing CBT and Mindfulness atm and it is hard but I feel like they are giving me more tools to be able to cope better with how I feel. Hope you get your therapy soon and I hope it does help

katya

katya

I think CBT helped me somewhat with my depressive episodes and I still use some of the methods which I found to be useful, particularly mindfulness. It took me a few goes at it though. I was quite dismissive to start with and couldn't see how CBT could possibly be applied to what I was going through. But yes, it definitely has it's benefits. You have to put in quite a lot of work though if you want to make the most of it.

As Mastiff mom said, it's certainly worth talking with your doctor if you don't feel as though your antidepressants are working as well as they should. It's tricky with medication and getting it right can be pretty hit and miss. This said, as you probably know, there's no magic pill that will make everything okay. It could be that the medication you are taking is working as well as any and you just need the additional therapy to make everything come together. Everyone's different.
Hi, thanks for replying.

I really like the thought of mindfulness - I don't know much about it but I've tried to sort of step out of my anxiety and focus on my senses and things and it does help for a short time, but I find myself becoming melancholy almost instantly, haha. I think it will work once I've had some training on it. :)

Also, I agree - I'm hoping that the correct combination for me will be these anti-depressants (because they have had a significantly good effect) combined with CBT. I feel it's tackled the bouts of depression, but obviously the underlying psychological issues need to be tackled too.

Thanks again - I shall keep you posted. :)

katya

katya

I agree with Purple Chaos. I am doing CBT and Mindfulness atm and it is hard but I feel like they are giving me more tools to be able to cope better with how I feel. Hope you get your therapy soon and I hope it does help
That's really positive to hear. Hope it continues to work well for you. :)

E

english rose

I was told by a GP I saw that she would only issue me with a medical certificate if I agreed to be referred for CBT, so I did - that was over 3 months ago & I've heard nothing; mind you I don't think it would work on me because it's been too long that I've been like this - practically my whole life & I'm 42. I do not want to see that doctor again, the only other time I saw her she failed to diagnose an inflamed coxis & I ended up nearly fainting from the pain - another dr gave me steroids which cleared it up.

Parissa

Parissa

I've been on anti-depressants for nearly a whole year now, and while I do feel better, in that I don't have the ridiculous lows I used to have, I still feel quite worthless and anxious about things. It's as though the grip has loosened but it's nowhere near ready to let go.

I'm waiting on some high-intensity CBT therapy, which I've needed for bloody ages. I'm just wondering, did any of you feel this way before CBT, and did it help in the end?

I don't want my life to kind of spiral again and go to shit, but it's hard to keep a sense of optimism.

Thanks for reading.
My psychiatrist said anti depressants only deal with the moderate and severe depression, not the mild.Maybe the mild depression got left behind.

I've done CBT. It helps in that it helps you keep a check on your negative thoughts when low. It helps you to become aware of your unhelpful thoughts and correct them. You can actually train yourself to do this but it is good to have help too.

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

I had a shedload of CBT and it didn't really help me to be honest. However I had a wrong diagnosis for 10 years and never really engaged with it all, however I have know lots of people get lots from CBT.

Mindfulness, however, has helped me a lot. It's so easy to explain and it's the hardest thing to do but it does help and works across a number of conditions. I would wholeheartedly recommend it, based on my experience.

Good luck and I hope they deliver what you need them to.

Davey x

katya

katya

I was told by a GP I saw that she would only issue me with a medical certificate if I agreed to be referred for CBT, so I did - that was over 3 months ago & I've heard nothing; mind you I don't think it would work on me because it's been too long that I've been like this - practically my whole life & I'm 42. I do not want to see that doctor again, the only other time I saw her she failed to diagnose an inflamed coxis & I ended up nearly fainting from the pain - another dr gave me steroids which cleared it up.
The waiting time for CBT is absolutely fucking ridiculous (excuse my French). I had to wait about 10 months to hear anything back. I do think it's worth waiting for, though, because, even if it doesn't work, at least you've tried it. It might help in some ways, even if it's not completely effective.

Why would she only issue you a medical certificate if you agreed to go for CBT, though? What did you need the medical certificate for? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable in this area. If you're not happy, please go to a different doctor; it's so important to feel as though your doctor is supporting you with whatever you're going through, for your own peace of mind!

katya

katya

My psychiatrist said anti depressants only deal with the moderate and severe depression, not the mild.Maybe the mild depression got left behind.

I've done CBT. It helps in that it helps you keep a check on your negative thoughts when low. It helps you to become aware of your unhelpful thoughts and correct them. You can actually train yourself to do this but it is good to have help too.

That sounds logical to me. I think the mild depression is remaining also because I haven't really dealt with the underlying psychological issues. If only a pill would fix it all! Haha.

See, from your description of CBT, that sounds exactly like what I need! Hard to maintain, but so good to try.

I'm quite optimistic about this CBT thing.

katya

katya

I had a shedload of CBT and it didn't really help me to be honest. However I had a wrong diagnosis for 10 years and never really engaged with it all, however I have know lots of people get lots from CBT.

Mindfulness, however, has helped me a lot. It's so easy to explain and it's the hardest thing to do but it does help and works across a number of conditions. I would wholeheartedly recommend it, based on my experience.

Good luck and I hope they deliver what you need them to.

Davey x
Thanks, I think mindfulness is a great idea. :)