• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

im so sick of shortness of breath

E

eddy1608

this used to be my biggest problem few years ago but then it went away but now the last 2 weeks its been bad again my throat just feels tight and like i cant get a deep breath at times its driving me mad :(
is this a common symptom i worry because i feel it there most of the day but i did an hour gym session new years eve and i was ok
any input will be great
thanks

katya

katya

this used to be my biggest problem few years ago but then it went away but now the last 2 weeks its been bad again my throat just feels tight and like i cant get a deep breath at times its driving me mad :(
is this a common symptom i worry because i feel it there most of the day but i did an hour gym session new years eve and i was ok
any input will be great
thanks
It's a really common symptom of anxiety; sometimes I don't even realise I'm breathing shallowly, and then I realise all of a sudden and I feel breathless and even more panicked.

Have you tried breathing in for 2 seconds and breathing out for 7 (or as long as you can)? It apparently slows your heart rate really effectively.

Hope you're feeling okay today.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I agree with jruth in that practising breathing exercises and focusing on your breath in a mindful way may help out.

You haven't had a cold or anything that would explain why these feelings have been back the last 2 weeks?
Perhaps it could have been the stress of Christmas and New Year... am only speculating though.

The fact that you were ok at your gym session probably shows that this is anxiety rather than you being unfit or having any physical problems.

If it's any consolation, I get this a lot too.
Similar to what jruth described - a lot of the time I don't realise how shallow my breath is until I find myself taking a big gasp for air out of the blue.