• Welcome! If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

im so hurt

• Thread starter lifecangetbetter
  • Start date
L

lifecangetbetter

this consciousness is SO difficult. things that are as easy as 1,2,3 are e=mc2. i feel like how smart i am with books is how stupid i am with people. i just feel so hurt by God, if there is one. I'm all alone, nobody understands what I'm going through. i CANT believe im only 30. i cant imagine another 40 years of my consciousness

S

sunshinelollipopsandrainbows

What do you mean when you say stupid with people?

L

lifecangetbetter

i feel like I'm missing the part of my brain that thinks about how people will interpret thing and i just say what's on my mind. everyone manipulates and pretends. i don't.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Sounds like the social filter networks of your brain are limited. It's OK, it's problematic in some people and I'm one of them. It seems to afflict a significant percentage of people who have developed capability in math and science, probably a tradeoff in the hard-wiring in our brains.

I've learned to live with it as my career path took me into occupations where I was more involved in technical items. But, social interaction is something you really can't get avoid-only minimize. I find group conversation very challenging and exhausting, because when your brain is wired to process things in a linear fashion the mass inputs of open conversation can overwhelm you. It's everything I can do to listen and process what others are saying, never mind formulate a response and actively participate in discussions. 'Small talk' for people afflicted like this is a real challenge-I've been criticized in my career for not interjecting more into the discussion. It hurts, but it is what it is.

All I can tell you is there is a place for book-smart folks who lack everyday social skills, you just have to find your niche in society and contribute as best you can. I have a PhD in electrical engineering and work in high tech industry and am well into my 60's. It takes all types to make the world go around, the extroverts get most of the recognition and coverage but those of us who labor behind the scenes with little fanfare or attention do our bit as well. Don't beat yourself up too much for your limitations, we all have them.

S

sunshinelollipopsandrainbows

I agree much with what PP said ^

I just wanted to add that if this is something that you hope to improve on it is possible. Find what you would like to work on, confidence, knowing current events or conversation starters.. whatever it may be! In my case it was that I had no filter and was very blunt and real, with no remorse for feelings. Not particularly rude, just honest and it could have been inappropriate in some peoples opinion. There are also TONS of books on social intelligence, and or emotional intelligence which I also have to read up on at times. Books, esp. by Dr.’s who specializes in those areas have helped tremendously for me.

Or it could just be a superpower of yours and you are perfect being you.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

this consciousness is SO difficult. things that are as easy as 1,2,3 are e=mc2. i feel like how smart i am with books is how stupid i am with people. i just feel so hurt by God, if there is one. I'm all alone, nobody understands what I'm going through. i CANT believe im only 30. i cant imagine another 40 years of my consciousness
Take one day at a time. Today is all we have. Not the past, not the future.