• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I'm so confused

S

sky.29

I don't understand this :sorry:
I'm not sure if this is like extreme anxiety or paranoia or if i'm just over exaggerating..
Every single night this happens. I usually don't get any sleep at all and this has been going on since I was like, 10. I'm older now, but nobody has helped me! Every night, I get so scared of everything. I have thoughts like, "What if theres a murderer walking up my stairs right now" or, "What if my brother goes insane and kills all of my family including me?" So, I'm forced to turn on the lights and sit there staring at the wall for hours... I sleep upstairs all alone too, so that doesn't help :low: also every noise I hear turns into someone banging on the door or walking or trying to break in..
My mind also makes out shapes into figures when it's dark and I have a mini heart-attack over them. I start hyperventilating. It sucks! I can't figure out if the figures are an actual person or just what my mind is making out.. I try to go downstairs at night and ask my parents for help but they push me away. I feel so scared to tell them anything about this because I don't trust that they will help me or accept me.. I feel bad even posting this and I think "What will other people think about this" or "I'm gonna get pushed away and made fun of if I do this", which prevents me from being myself. I'm scared I'm gonna end up hurting myself because my heart ends up beating so fast when I get scared over nothing. I don't understand why I'm like this because nobody in my life has died recently, I haven't had a boyfriend in a while, and nothing big has ever really happened to me. :( There's way too much to explain in this thread so I won't really put anything else. Please, I'm scared to go to a doctor because I'm afraid they will lock me up or put needles in me or something.

E

Elle-X

Hello Sky, welcome to the forum :) So sorry to read you're having problems right now. First things first, don't be frightened of your Doctor; they should be able to help you, either by offering some form of medication or referring you to a therapist who will help to alter the negative thoughts and behaviours you're displaying at present. Please seek this help so you don't begin to self-harm. Have you ever thought about having a small light on in your room at night? That might stop some of the difficulties you've been having with 'seeing' figures in the dark. Have you tried any relaxation techniques before bedtime like reading or listening to calming music?

S

sky.29

Yes, I actually have small lights in my room, and I do listen to music. It doesn't seem to work though :sorry: but thanks for asking.

S

sky.29

Thank you :) and yes, these problems are somewhat related to childhood sleeping problems