• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm so confused at this point. It's frustrating. Help? Thanks.

S

snc18

Ever since I can remember, but more so recently, I've been realizing things about myself and I'm not sure about anything. I thought it was more of a personality disorder type of thing, not sure.

I feel like there are 2 parts to me. Half of me thinks one way and feels strongly about certain things... then the other part thinks the total opposite. Let me give an example.

There are times where I am so mean and I enjoy being mean and I think I'm better than anyone else and I don't care who I hurt in the process.

Then there are times where I'm overly caring about everyone and I believe that they should be put first and I'll go to drastic lengths to make them happy.

It feels like it's not me, either way. It's so conflicting, really.

When I'm one way, I refuse to believe that I'm ever mean.
When I'm the other, I refuse to believe that I am that nice.

Any insight would be pretty helpful, thank you.

G

Gerardojr90

This reminds me of something called Cognitive Dissonance but this may also be a personality disorder. I would attempt to find a good therapist covered by your insurance to figure this all out. Better yet, visit a psychologist since they can administer tests/surveys and such. One way to reduce this problem is understanding your goals for recovery even if it's baby steps at first, writing in a gratitude journal where you list various things your thankful for as in the weather or a good meal. Identify your mistaken beliefs & fixed mindsets, what are your true feelings or motives behind your thoughts concerning why you do/think the things you do, and your behavior can change slowly by adjusting your attitude in a way if that needs improvement. Please don't self diagnose unless your 100% sure. Do some research on what was mentioned to find the help you need, take care & good luck!

P

Plumage

Confirmation Bias and Cognitive dissonance at work.

We all have conflicting thoughts and emotions constantly just in as much as we are bombarded by advertising and stimulus in the form of current affairs fixation with judgement and bad things.

Cognitive dissonance is a troubling, under featured problem in an ever more complicated world.

It's actually completely normal in most people today but the more you educate yourself on it.... The more likely you will understand your choices between warring sides.

G

girard

I couldnt agree with you more.Some very good advice.Keeping a journal always helps .