• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm really struggling with focus/concentration/procrastination (I suppose this is all some type of anxiety)

eaglesandcycling

eaglesandcycling

I quit my job at the end of 2019 (after 7 long years in that job) and saved a bunch of money. I knew I needed to take several months off after that job, which was quite bad, mentally, for the last year or 2 in that job. I only stuck around cuz of the money I was making and, thankfully, saving. So, my plan was to take a break for several months then start my own business, which I'm in the middle of now (setting up an e-commerce business on my own). But I really drag on the process of this new career path, starting my own business. I'm probably putting in 10 or so % into it on average. I go through phases where at times I'm more motivated but then times where almost zero motivation and do almost nothing.

I suppose having this savings isn't helping the situation since I can live off this money for quite some time (at least another year or even more). So I know I really need to focus on this new path of mine but I just find myself putting it off and off and off and at the same time building inner anxiety and sometimes depression (since I know I'm not really working on it). I find other things to do like go cycling for hours, look at youtube (wasting time), taking walks, meeting a friend here and there, etc. Instead, I really need to be focused and concentrated on this new business venture at least say 4 or so hours a day. But this is such a struggle for me, it really is. Any tips how I can get myself together and motivated and focused?? Grant it, this is a business I'll be doing totally on my own so it even takes more motivation. And it's all online so not in a setting of meeting others at work. I do try and go to work spaces to work or libraries but still struggle although it's better than being at home working.

I'm a man in my mid 40s, happily married to a younger woman of 5 years (no kids yet) and very fit as I exercise often. I can surely focus and concentrate on my cycling for many hours, why not my business venture??! What causes this? Fear? Fear of failure? Fear of responsibility? Fear of success? And how to work on this anxiety and depression I suffer from? I tend not to get too depressed (although I have several days a month I get quite down for a few days) but it's mostly worry and anxiety that I'll never snap out of this. I really need help in finding focus and concentration to work on myself and my future career.

I'd love any thoughts you all may have for me. Thank you for reading...

Talina

Talina

I’m a master at procrastination but that’s just because I have no motivation. To keep myself going, I always plan my days. Often I do it the night before, I write the things I need to do first and the not so important is always written last. So if I go over time I will just push the not important stuff for another day.

This system help me to keep on track with everything in daily life 😊

JessisMe

JessisMe

Welcome to the forums! I think some people are self motivated and better suited for self employment. Others struggle to create their own structures to work within and find the motivation outside of a boss and deadlines to move forward. It seems like your nature might be better suited towards working for other people who provide the motivation and structure you need to be productive. Rather than continue to burn through your savings being unproductive I would consider looking for new work in your area. It might just be that self employment is not for you. xo, j

eaglesandcycling

eaglesandcycling

Welcome to the forums! I think some people are self motivated and better suited for self employment. Others struggle to create their own structures to work within and find the motivation outside of a boss and deadlines to move forward. It seems like your nature might be better suited towards working for other people who provide the motivation and structure you need to be productive. Rather than continue to burn through your savings being unproductive I would consider looking for new work in your area. It might just be that self employment is not for you. xo, j
Yes, but this is definitely for fitting for me in the sense that I want to work on my own and have independence. I need to make this work somehow cuz the thought of working for someone again and going into an office, depresses me.