I'm overdue for a shower

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Does anyone else have a hard time getting themselves to take a shower? I've lost track when was the last time I showered. It just seems like extra work that I don't have the motivation or energy for. My wife wants me to take a shower.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi @boudreauj4

I am sorry that it’s been hard for you to shower. I used to do that so I know how you feel.

Take a bath instead and just try to relax. I am suspecting that you don’t go out much. That’s a big contributor to not wanting to shower. You have to motivate yourself. When you are done with taking a shower, just pay close attention to how fresh you feel and how good you smell. After a warm bath, take a bit colder shower. Trust me, you’ll feel refreshed.

If it’s boring for you in the shower, try listening to something you enjoy like music or ebooks or standup comedy etc. you will change your mind and you want to do that every day.

I wish you the best.

S

Sara_1978

Yes but I force myself to....as soon as iv had one i feel fresh and a lot better than I did before so it’s really about making urself do it!

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I took my shower yesterday morning. I guess I'll try to do it more often. I have one of those shower radios hanging on the shower curtain pole but I didn't think to turn it on. Thank you for your responses everyone.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I must admit Im in the shower and straight out. Same in the bath I don’t know how people can sit in them for ages I just get bored so I only have a bath if I’m aching or unwell

fazza

fazza

I too struggle with the shower. I use the "will get one tomorrow" and before I know it many days have past. Then I got a new mobile which is waterproof. Now showers are great as I take my phone in there and log in to the forum or twitter whilst I shower.
My freind has a similar technique but he calls it twitter on the shitter (sorry to be vulgar). Showering with a distraction had helped me a lot.

Also I would exercise caution as if you do fi d yourself not showering or taking care of yourself it may be an indication that you are not as well as you think you could be. Maybe an increased negative symptom of schizophrenia or like me you could just not be bothered. Either way. Keep an eye on it or ask a friend/partner or cpn to reality check you before things slide.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i have a shower and change my clothes every 2 days, i can say on the dwp form i go days without washing, i feel better after a shower and clean clothes, with my manuel washing machine washing clothes is a chore so don't use more than neccessary

J

Jules5

I have a real problem getting into the shower-I just feel like what is the point I never go anywhere and I do not exercise or do too much during the day The thought of a shower makes me avoid it at all cost. Lately I have been showering more as I told my therapist about not showering and we made a deal 3 times per week that is how bad off I am right now. Yes I may be suffering from clinical depression along with psychosis and PTSD-plus Bi Polar and anxiety

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

And I often change my clothes only once per week. It doesn't bother me to do this and amazingly it doesn't seem to bother my wife except for my socks. She often throws my socks in the wash in the morning before I get a chance to put them back on.

If I have to go out somewhere important or be around people that it would look bad if I looked like a homeless person, I usually wash my hair and beard and put on some clean clothes first.