• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm not sure what I have... Help, please?

C

crane23

OK, I've been looking around for a disorders that matches my symptoms, but haven't found anything that really fits. I'll try to explain this as best I can:

Every night when I go to bed, I basically have to walk around my house to make sure everything is off. The TV, the lights, and whatever else. Problem is, even when I see that a light is off, I can't help but stare at it, up to 1-2 minutes at a time, just to be absolutely certain that it is indeed off, even though I know in my mind that it is. I think it's because I'm paranoid about leaving something on all night after I've gone to sleep. So... even though I know the light is off, I can't help but stare at it until I get tired of standing there, staring into the dark. I should also mention that to be sure the light is off, I'll repeatedly push down on the lightswitch, up to 4-5 times, to be sure. I know this is strange, but I have a really hard time going to sleep if I haven't made sure everything is off, because I'm just afraid of leaving something on.

Sorry if that's hard to understand, I'm trying to be as clear as I can. Any ideas as to what I might have? I know this isn't normal. Thanks in advance to any help or ideas!

Jeff

SimonB

SimonB

Sounds lie obsessive compulsive disorder [OCD]??? Have you seen anyone about it?

sallyG

sallyG

I agree with Simon..it does sound like ocd..maybe a trip to your doctors may be in order.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Yes I agree, there's quite a few people on here with that I think, try the Obsessive-compulsive disorder forum, under anxiety. I'm sure your doctor will have seen this before, and I believe it's treatable but other than that I know very little about it myself.

I hope you can get something sorted. :hug:

C

crane23

thanks guys, I appreciate the ideas. I had a feeling it might be OCD, but the symptoms don't exactly match what I have. But I'm thinking you guys are right.

Jeff

Astrid

Astrid

My mom does this too. She has actually broken the door nob by pulling on it so hard, so many times to "make sure" it's locked (she has never had any therapy or diagnosis...I think this type of behavior is pretty common and from what I understand is rooted in anxiety, up to and including OCD). I would ask your physician about it if it bothers you (technically speaking it's a "disorder" if it causes you distress or disrupts your daily life) but be wary that your regular physician will likely just try to push pills on you, which might be a quick fix but doesn't get to the root of the problem. Good luck.

M

mylife

maybe your just afraid of electiricty like me and afraid of fires happening

L

Libbeh

:flowers:definately ocd.
my freind has ocd, she must make sure that her hands are clean before and after she touches everything.
you should talk to a doctor about it?