• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

I'm New!

M

mememe

Hello to everybody, as you can see i am 'new'. I was browsing through the lists of forum topics and i realised that i don't know what forum I can call home! A quick look through 'Anxiety' - Panic attacks? Check! Specific phobia? Check! GAD? Probably. Then onto 'Mood' - Depression? Check. Mood disorder? Maybe. What about 'Self harm'? Check. 'Personality disorder'? Who knows.

In the last year I've gone through what you might call a crisis of confidence. I became very anxious/depressed. Did the whole counselling/escitaolopram combo. Then my moods got more unpredictable. One day I'm up. Next I'm down. Up. Down. Up. Down! Maybe I'm crazy. No I'm not crazy! Maybe I'm bipolar? Of course you're not bipolar! Maybe I'm borderline? I don't want to be borderline! I don't want to be anything!

But then. Here I am. Still searching for that elusive diagnosis which will magic away the self harm and suicidal ideation and depression and anxiousness and paranoia and obsessiveness and jealously. Maybe this is just me?

What I'd like to know is - does a diagnosis help? Or am I searching for the wrong thing?

Thanks xX

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Mememe,

First off, welcome to the forum. This is a great place full of friendly and supportive people and I hope you get a lot from being here. :welcome:

On the point of diagnosis, I've never had one, probably because I may be a mix of a variety of things. Dominant of them all it's probably depression (apparent in my meds) but this has come about for a variety of other reasons none of which have been talked about by my psychiatrist. While I hate being labelled I find this pretty frustrating as I'm left in the same position as you, constantly wondering whether I'm ill or not (silly this, as I've had three lengthy stays in hospital and I guess they wouldn't let me through the door if I wasn't ill!). Still, having no diagnosis leaves me wondering. I also don't know what the treatment is aimed at, is it trying to sort out the depression or something else.

A specific diagnosis would give me something specific to battle against, it gives you an opportunity to know what's wrong with you.

So, all in all I think I would prefer a diagnosis. This is though just me and everyone else may have a different take on it! I'm sure you'll get some different ideas here.

Anyway, enjoy the support here and I look forward to seeing more posts from you when you're comfortable.

D

Dollit

Diagnosis is just a beginning not a solution. I fought my diagnosis for a long time and it was only when I was told it was the illness I should be fighting did I get somewhere.

But it's not the be all and end all, they're just words after all and to be well informed about the individual components that make you what you are is important.

But different people feel different ways - that's the key, find out what's right for you.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: MHF :)