i'm new here

R

rosalikestacos

Hi guys

I don't really know what I am suppose to say right now. so I'll try my best to share my story. I'm a 24 year old college student on her last semester of college. I am actually suppose to be be studying for a test that I have tomorrow, but I can't help to be depressed. I've been like this all day. I was so happy yesterday.

I have not come to the full acceptance that I might be bi-polar or have manic depression, but a colleague suggested based on the personality changes I was experiencing I might be. She told me this last year in 2018. I never really thought much of it, but now that think about it my mother had depressive stages too.

In October 2017, I had a miscarriage at 5 months with my ex fiancé. I was in my Spanish class when the bleeding began. I bled and had contractions all the way home. I cried, and hours later everything was out of me. For the time being I couldn't help and sit there feeling lifeless. The next day I carried on like nothing happened. Went to work and classes. I had exams that week so i didn't give myself the time to heal. Then, my fiance and I split. I couldn't have a pity party but i remember crying myself to sleep and acting like I was fine the next day. I did that for a while until the holidays came around than I started drinking.

I drank so much within a few months my liver started having issues in March 2018. Nothing major, but when I went to go see a psychiatrist they told me to monitor and reduce my drinking. Looking back now I never allowed myself the time to heal properly. I just kept taking classes during the spring, summer, fall, and repeat.

Now, it's 2019. I'm taking 18 hours for my last semester, interviewing for jobs, and hold an executive position for a non profit at my college. You could say I am over-whelmed at times. I am noticing changes in my every day character during my depressive stage. I'm worried that will transfer into my professional life. Does anyone else have these issues at work? how do you deal with them? Is there a way you communicate to your peers when you are over whelmed? How do you keep up with the work load during the depressive stages?

If you read this far, I appreciate you. I haven't talked to anyone in my life about my issue. Three people in my life have noticed that I might be, so any feed back you could give me is a big help.

Thanks in advance,
Rose

M

missme

Hi I'm new here too. I think it's very important to find the support systems in place to help one get through this. It is so important not to self diagnose, but to have professional assessment done. But that is not brushing aside what you are feeling or experiencing. You are doing the right thing by educating yourself and reaching out for help. It is not easy to do, especially if one suffers from any mental health issues. Yes by what you say, you have many challenges ahead, but it would be helpful to know what symptoms you are actually experiencing. Bipolar is different for each person, sometimes people suffer different things, but having had it myself, I really empathise with you. I'm happy to listen. You will get there one step at a time.