I'm new here

T

Tigerfeet73

Hi just joined and suffering with depression and anxiety,last year I took two overdose as I wanted to die ,I have no self worth or importance in this world ,but now I'm taking mirtazapine been on 30mg and feel like I can cope a lot better now, it's helping me sleep and now I feel like I am needed in this world, but do find many people including loved ones who just don't understand what it's like to feel so low and to have suicidal thoughts,my partner called me selfish and evil for what I did so my question is has anybody delt with the same problem of people not understanding?

Foxjo

Foxjo

Forum Safety Team
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Yes I have felt the disappointment of relatives when I survived my last od. I wasn't grateful to be alive. I had no light bulb moment. And they could not understand why I was being like that.
Over time it's been five years now, they have grown to understand a bit better with the help of TV and social media. My mum watches a lot of loose women on tv and they often have pieces about mental health. So I feel my mum has mellowed a bit.

Perhaps it was a bit of a shock for everyone. It must be hard to understand in reality? I know it's hard for us going through it too.
Glad you found the forum. You are not alone
Hugs
Fox

T

Tigerfeet73

Thank u it's nice to talk to people who understand with no judgement, I felt the same in the disappointment and the first thing I said to the mental health team at the hospital was I failed I can't even do that right. But I have a good few friends who have been wonderful and helpful , just wish I felt the closeness of my parents to talk with them as they have no idea what's been going on with me over the past few years. But we arnt close and that's something I now have got used to. I have come to believe these feelings won't ever go away but each day we learn to control the feeling

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Tigerfeet73,
I'm glad your feeling a bit better, I'm sorry for all you've gone through.
My family don't understand my mental health needs, I haven't told most of them as I know they wouldn't understand.
Here to talk anytime.
Take care

N

NeatMonster

Hi just joined and suffering with depression and anxiety,last year I took two overdose as I wanted to die ,I have no self worth or importance in this world ,but now I'm taking mirtazapine been on 30mg and feel like I can cope a lot better now, it's helping me sleep and now I feel like I am needed in this world, but do find many people including loved ones who just don't understand what it's like to feel so low and to have suicidal thoughts,my partner called me selfish and evil for what I did so my question is has anybody delt with the same problem of people not understanding?
Hi Tigerfeet73, welcome to the forum,

I think you'll find that most people here, indeed most people who openly acknowledge their mental health problems in general, have experienced what you've experienced here.

You can liken it to learning Russian in a way. If you've never encountered a Russian adjective before you may not necessarily know what to do with it, where to put it, how to understand it or what sense to make of it. The moment someone patiently explains its function however, and illustrates the meaning behind it, its place and purpose becomes clear.

Although it's difficult and perhaps time-consuming, the best way to make your loved ones understand what you're experiencing is to educate them as best as you can ... whether that be from your own experience and explanations or with guides and videos to aid you. YouTube has a plethora of such resources if you're struggling to find the right words or struggling to explain it in a meaningful way.

Another great place to send a loved one is to the Royal College of Psychiatrists website.

If you Google 'royal college of psychiatrists depression' or 'royal college of psychiatrists anxiety' you'll be taken to one of the most trusted sources of information on those particular subjects; information that is aimed at educating interested laymen and loved ones alike on the given subject.

Hope that helps :welcome: