• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Im new here, I just had the worst experience...

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

Hi all,

I was diagnosed as Bipolar type 2 last week and put on Seroquel 300mg along with the Venlafaxine 150mg I am already taking for depression. I was involved in an accident at work 6 years ago that traumatised me greatly and was also a trigger for the manic depression. I have spent an awful lot of money and got myself into great debt and I do things totally out of character, and take alot of silly risks when I am manic. I hid the fact I was spending money by the bucket load from friends and family and having these awful awful manic highs that would last for weeks leaving me with about 2 hours sleep a week if I was lucky until I finally came out with it to my counsellor and I managed to get an emergency appointment with my local mental health unit.

I am signed off work at the moment while I get used to the Seroquel, im not liking the side effects so far, im totally wasted all day only really coming too when it's time to take another !!.

I still live at home with my folks as I don't have any money to move out. My folks had some relations over today for an Xmas bash so I thought I would join in and have a chat with the rellies, and somehow or other the topic of people spending wildly on credit cards etc came up and of all people my mum and dad said how much a bunch of losers people are who load there credit cards up are and how they would kill themselves if that happened and that none of them have any common sense. What a way to kick someone when they are down huh ? They know how terrible I feel about the excessive spending, which is part of the mania I was experiencing. I really feel terrible now, and I feel like going and having a good shout up at them all but im not like that.

I have now shut myself away and I feel like self harming and punishing myself for spending all that money.

:(:(:(

Kev

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum - I hope you find it a good place. You have a lot to get used to just now with your very recent diagnosis and new meds and it is bound to take you a while to adjust. Do you have ongoing contact with your local mental health team? Do your parents know about the spending? I know that my parents can be quite reactionary but they really did try to understand when things got bad for me. I hope this is the case with you, and keep posting here. Take care.

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

My dad is ok with the Bipolar but my mum doesn't want to accept it, she has parkinsons herself and I wonder if she thinks it's her fault that I am bipolar ?. I go for counselling on a weekly basis, my counsellor is brilliant and managed to prise the money spending secret out of my "secret place". I am seeing the mental health unit again in about 4 weeks to plan the next step.

I am a little concerned about what my employer is going to do, what with me being signed off, but I don't feel ready to return to work yet, im still very sedated in the mornings and it's a 25 mile drive to work which isn't a good idea at the moment.

I think I am slowly getting used to the quetiapine the sedation wears off about 2pm so maybe I need more time to get used it, after all I have only been on them a week.

jax

jax

Hi there,
:welcome: When I first went on the seroquel - boy was I sedated. It seemed to last an eternity. There is serquel xl (Slow release) which isn't as sedating as you get a spurt here and there of seroquel.

I know all about the spending. I must have spent £15,000 and wasn't working at the time. All on credit. I also had nothing to show for it. I bought 3 computers and gave them away. I paid a friend's down payment and first and last months rent. I just bought and bought things for others.

I do very dangerous and foolish things when I am manic. One thing in particular - I had never done in my life and when I am manic - it's all I can think of. It's like there are two of me. Completely opposite of one another.

I hope you didn't sh kev - it's never worth it. In my opinion anyhow. You have an illness and you can't help that you have overspent.

Jacqui x

iffybob

iffybob

Some people are just a subtal as a brick arnt they.

I think I am lucky I dont have a credit rating, once what cash I have is gone, no more spending.......

No credit cards or loans, I just have one debit card and I mostley use that to get cash out of the bank and spend that.........

Learning to recognise your manic, and controling the impulses takes time, I tend to just stay in, less chance of trouble that way, but when I was younger ........ party......:clap:

.... hope you work it out ok........ boB ....... :)

M

mad as a hatter

i,ve done it myself spent lots off money suppose i,m lucky only got myself into debt once it was only 1000 quid and my dad helped me out i,m not quite as bad these days but i do spend at times i,ve also self harmed loads but it,s a lot hard work not 2 act on these impulses i get it,s a nitemare at times

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

Hi all,

Thanks for the great replies, it's good to know people are going through the same as myself. I managed not to self harm but had a very strange night, my left leg kept shaking on it's own and I kept twitching and having invouluntary movements. I did sleep however but woke up with a stinking headache and my depth perception was all wonkey donkey, really quite scary. I assume it's the Seroquel/Quetiapine doing it's thing. Also I don't know if anyone else gets this but when I am startled I get a really weird spaced out feeling in my head and I feel im going to pass out, it only lasts maybe two seconds but it's most disconcerting.

Regards to you all

Kev

S

SmileyGirl

Hia, the weird spaced out feeling I'm sure is quite a natural side effect to meds as I have had them and another friend on here that I have spoken to. You might want to get your blood pressure checked as if its a bit low it can make you lightheaed especially when you stand up quick or get up from lying down.
Medication generally takes a while to kick in before you feel a little more like yourself again.
Work cannot do anything for you to be worried about as bipolar comes under the disability discrimination act and therefore they must keep you on 'the books' as it were unless there's a serious risk to you or others. If you are concerned, speak to your citizens advice.
Please don't be pressured into ging back to work too early, I have done this several times and ended up off sick again. Your health is worth far more than any job!
People on this site are so lovely, and completely non-judgemental.
Hope everything settles down for you, take care
SG

H

huggybear65

I am on the seroquel too (bipolar 2 and social phobia) and I feel weird at times,although less so now as my body is getting used to my meds.
I have become very reclusive in the last 7 or 8 months although I am not agoraphobic I avoid strangers
I have overdosed once after I split with my ex,I loved her to bits and feel like no one could ever replace her and the split was caused by my at the time undiagnosed bipolarity and my erratic behaviour-my foot went in my mouth once too often...:(
Hugs to all who need them..

M

maudikie

Maudikie.

If you hae got into debt that is going to make your depresions worse. I would suggest that you keep on with the treatment you are taking, but fine s reliable source of debt management and advice. Make sure it is reliable. If you have a bank account they may be able to ehlp. and as soon as is practical throw away your crdit cards.. they are a mennace,. Just keep one, and pary it off regularly. If your parents know about your debt it was rather unfortunate that they brought it into the converstaion. If they don't know about it, and are supportive in your depression it might be a good thing to tell them about it, and maybe they will help. Don't worry if they say you have been silly. It has happened, so don't let it happen again!
Take care and best wishes.:hug:

K

Kat667

I'm off to see the doctor on Monday. Am already worried about how i express what is happening to me, they tend not to have much time and I'm embarrassed.
Last time I went they did blood tests to rule out thyroid problem which can show same symptoms.
The leg twitching (restless leg syndrom) happens to me too. I also get it in my back and it wakes me up at night. Have heard herbal teas and no caffeine at night can help but I don't think it makes much difference.