• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I'm losing interest in my hobbies and I feel like a failure

S

SicklyBloom

Recently, I've stopped playing guitar completely. Last time I played it was last weekend and now I can't play it at all without putting it back down. I recently decided that I wanted to switch hands because I was tired of playing with my right instead of my left. I play air guitar with my left-hand so should I be playing that hand instead, it's my natural hand after all? I just can't play it without feeling depressed somehow, like I have no energy to play anymore. I don't know what it is but it's just knowing I sound like total crap and wishing I had that energetic spirit most guitar players have. Plus, I don't even feel connected to the instrument anymore and have recently thought of switching to bass guitar, but then I would need a left-handed bass if I decide to switch hands. Music has always been a passion of mine but after realizing I haven't been on the right path, now it's a pain in the neck. Now, I just don't play at all because it gives me anxiety. Same with singing, I feel like my emotional health has only made my voice worse due to yelling and screaming. I actually enjoy singing for the fun of it but now it's just fear inducing because I hate the way I sound. Maybe I'm just not cut out for this because I'm ready to just give up completely. I only have energy to sleep and cry, I honestly wish I was joking.

I also like to paint and draw but I can't seem sum up the courage to express myself without wanting to cry. I just can't do anything anymore without wanting to go back to sleep or cry. I'm done being creative because I'll just make a fool of myself and it won't even be as good as it was in my mind's eye. Don't try to do something creative, it'll only drive you crazy. I don't do anything creative anymore because all it does is make me anxious.

ht46

ht46

Im going through something similar with art. I feel my art is crappy and theres no point. If you look at a lot of art thats making it its very naive and all the punk artists that picked it up on the spot through trial and error not everyones vivaldi, just express yourself through a process that works for you.

F

Fairy Lucretia

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i hope you find the interest to take up your hobbies again soon x i started to learn to play the keyboard a few months ago but haven't practiced for a while
i feel a bit guilty but im sure you and I will take up our hobbies again when we feel ready x love Lu x

ht46

ht46

i hope you find the interest to take up your hobbies again soon x i started to learn to play the keyboard a few months ago but haven't practiced for a while
i feel a bit guilty but im sure you and I will take up our hobbies again when we feel ready x love Lu x
Thankyou you too

sab

sab

I kinda can relate to your situation. However, I'm not playing guitar, but since certain incident I can't really enjoy recording Let's Plays from games because it gives me anxiety and feeling it's not good. I can't really give you advice for that. I'm searching it for myself too. Maybe time will make things better? I know you probably want to drop your hobby, I'm struggling with these thoughts too. But try fighting for it. It would be bad if you lose something which made you feel better.

P

Prycejosh1987

If i are losing interest in hobbies, find something good to do, and make life enjoyable for you. This happens in communication with others.

S

SicklyBloom

If i are losing interest in hobbies, find something good to do, and make life enjoyable for you. This happens in communication with others.
I don't know what to do, I live in a condo in suburban area, so I feel closed off from the world. I feel so strange most of the time. I also try to be a good communicator but half the time I feel like nobody knows what I'm talking about.