• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I'm losing friends because of my anger

S

Silas1066

I have had a similar issue. It is something that we both need to deal with.

The first step is understanding where the anger is coming from, and why it is difficult to control. For my part, I think it has to do with an obsessive need for control, a dislike of uncertainty, lack of good sleep, and a feeling of powerlessness. I also think that I am a bit on the Autistic spectrum, so I have meltdowns (but they are rare)

Remember that depression is a kind of cold war with the world. It is a mistake to think that it is entirely self-focused: a lot of times, we are angry or disappointed in other people, or our situation. Since we cannot blow up, we direct our aggression inwards.

Mal84

Mal84

Hi and welcome.

What is it about your anger that is making you lose friends?

Is there a chance that anger management might help?

N

Nukelavee

Remember that depression is a kind of cold war with the world. It is a mistake to think that it is entirely self-focused: a lot of times, we are angry or disappointed in other people, or our situation. Since we cannot blow up, we direct our aggression inwards.
Great insight.

Like Silas, a big part of my anger is frustration with ambiguity, that is, uncertainty. Like he said - try to figure out where the anger is rooted.

When my temper starts to flare, I remind myself over and over "Don't act". The weird relief you get from having been angry isn't worth it.