I'm going to stop drinking

B

BrokenToy

I am not going to touch another alchoholic drink after 18th March. After all, I'm Irish and St Paddys is just around the corner! I easily drank more alcohol between 15 and 20 than I did between 20 and my mid forties, but since last October I've started spiralling out of control. It started with one small bottle of whiskey each week. Then one large bottle each week, now I'm drinking three large bottles each week. I know that even if it makes me feel better now it's going to make next week worse so 18th March and that's it. Wish me luck!

calypso

calypso

Admin
Best of luck and I hope you manage it. My husband died of alcoholism and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy so stick to your guns and use us on here for support as you do this. It will be a struggle initially and it might be an idea to look at going along to AA meetings initially to give you the support you need. I'm not saying you are an alcoholic but you could be on the road to it if you aren;t careful as you imply yourself.

All my best thoughts are with you on this one. :hug1:

B

BrokenToy

I know I'm at the stage now where I can beat it. However another month or two and I think things could be very different. This is one battle I'm SURE I'm going to win. Thanks for your support! Enjoy your weekend.

B

BrokenToy

Ok so today is the first day I haven't had a drink, or even the urge to drink for a few months. Depending how the rest of the week goes (I'm fighting three battles, ESA, PIP and BT) I might abstain until 17th. No matter what happens my last drop will be before midnight on 17th March. I'm very sorry about your hubby calypso, I promise if I'm tempted at all I'll think of your post and your good wishes and I will resist.

B

BrokenToy

Really struggling at the minute but I'm still feeling strong. Just came home from Citizens Advice but didn't get as much help as I was hoping for. Basically they said BT are liars and told me to just make a formal complaint to Ofcom, so that's what I'm going to do this afternoon.
There was a large half-full bottle of whiskey sitting in the kitchen so I moved it out of sight into the utility room, no point tempting myself. I've had no meds or drugs at all today but I will take something soon, not alcohol, just a joint or a Diazepam.
Since I joined this forum I feel like I've just taken my first proper breath of fresh air after being trapped underwater for the last 6 months. One small step at a time...

givethemhell

givethemhell

Really struggling at the minute but I'm still feeling strong. Just came home from Citizens Advice but didn't get as much help as I was hoping for. Basically they said BT are liars and told me to just make a formal complaint to Ofcom, so that's what I'm going to do this afternoon.
There was a large half-full bottle of whiskey sitting in the kitchen so I moved it out of sight into the utility room, no point tempting myself. I've had no meds or drugs at all today but I will take something soon, not alcohol, just a joint or a Diazepam.
Since I joined this forum I feel like I've just taken my first proper breath of fresh air after being trapped underwater for the last 6 months. One small step at a time...
next time you do feel that urge i hope coming here and telling us is what you do instead! good luck keeping it going! :)

B

BrokenToy

I'm going to make it through today without alcohol no problem. I really think I just stopped this habit in time. I still feel strong just by visiting this forum, so thanks! I've had one diazepam today but I'm prescribed them anyway and one is low for me. I feel pretty good at the minute, mornings seem to be my lowest point each day and I'm trying to change this pattern next. Best wishes!

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm a binge drinker.I can go long periods of time without drinking at all with no problem.But then I get that urge to and I drink so much,so fast and can't seem to stop myself.I got alcohol poisoning from it once a few years ago.

Good luck at abstaining,I understand how hard it can be.

B

BrokenToy

I think I went through that stage between 16 and 19 years of age. I poisoned myself more than once. But when I passed my driving test and bought my first car I stopped drinking almost immediately and only binged about 5 or 6 times per year after that (I was always a light-weight drinker during these binges, only hours, not days).
The scrutiny I was already under by the police/army meant I knew for a fact at some point there'd inevitably be a chase, possibly a crash and maybe a death. So I just stopped drinking. I can't remember it being really that hard for me although I was taking massive amounts of others substances by now so it's likely I just switched to a new crutch.
Actually when I think of it now it was around this time I started taking LSD and magic mushrooms much more often, so yeah, I'd simply switched crutches. I could function 'normally' on strong drugs (compared to my friends) but I was a disaster on alcohol when I was younger. I never once had alcohol show up on a breathalyzer test, and I got breath-tested a lot.

Last edited:
givethemhell

givethemhell

I think I went through that stage between 16 and 19 years of age. I poisoned myself more than once. But when I passed my driving test and bought my first car I stopped drinking almost immediately and only binged about 5 or 6 times per year after that (I was always a light-weight drinker during these binges, only hours, not days).
The scrutiny I was already under by the police/army meant I knew for a fact at some point there'd inevitably be a chase, possibly a crash and maybe a death. So I just stopped drinking. I can't remember it being really that hard for me although I was taking massive amounts of others substances by now so it's likely I just switched to a new crutch.
Actually when I think of it now it was around this time I started taking LSD and magic mushrooms much more often, so yeah, I'd simply switched crutches. I could function 'normally' on strong drugs (compared to my friends) but I was a disaster on alcohol when I was younger. I never once had alcohol show up on a breathalyzer test, and I got breath-tested a lot.
you bring up something that hits home for me. i always used to consider myself to not have an addictive personality. no matter what substance or behavior i was caught up in, i always felt like it was no big deal to stop. i quite smoking cigarettes like it was nothing, for example. but i never realized it only ever felt easy for me because i had something else to rely on a crutch to distract me... hmmm

B

BrokenToy

I've known from my late teens I had an addictive personality, that's why I fought using XTC for years even tho my friends all used it (but eventually I lost that battle) and heroin. I resisted the heroin temptation, although I am still tempted at times to be perfectly honest but thankfully not for a long time now. I never once even had a sniff at what it's like, I know i would kill me and my family. I''m counting that as a major life choice win, a rare one for me.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I had my first drink when I was 6 years old,at a party.I'm not proud of that but tbh,I was proud of myself at the time.I thought I was so cool.And I really enjoyed it.

I smoked my first joint when I was about 9 years old.Not purposely though,some boys tricked me,I thought it was a cigarette.I liked that too.

I think that's where my problems started,liking how they made me feel at such a young age.

I drank heavily through my teenage years,drank before,during and after school.I try to stay away from alcohol because I do like it so much.I think that's why I am a binge drinker,I stay away from it as long as I can and then give in.

B

BrokenToy

I still haven't touched anything, not even thinking about it. I'll decide what to do on the 17th if I have one last blast or not. But either way, I'm winning this one.

E

exyz

You are doing so well, the 17th will be a difficult path, but whatever you decide, we are all here so don't forget that:)

B

BrokenToy

I just gave away my last half bottle of whiskey, there are no more spirits left in this house at all now. If I have a drink tomorrow it will be eight (or less) Guinness that were handed to me as a gift earlier this evening. (I don't think I've ever managed to drink eight Guinness in one sitting before, 4-6 maybe) I'm not buying any more alcohol and I won't be going out tomorrow. Wishing you all a lovely day tomorrow.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I've known from my late teens I had an addictive personality, that's why I fought using XTC for years even tho my friends all used it (but eventually I lost that battle) and heroin. I resisted the heroin temptation, although I am still tempted at times to be perfectly honest but thankfully not for a long time now. I never once even had a sniff at what it's like, I know i would kill me and my family. I''m counting that as a major life choice win, a rare one for me.
Like a few have said, I also have an addictive personality, and this stood out, as I had the same thing BToy.

I houseshared with some people (back in the early 90s), I didn't know about one history with it (H), but something happened, and he started it again, and it wasn't long till others using it were in the lounge all smoking it (including people I didn't know, and this made me uncomfortable)... it was offered to me on several occasions, and I think now that I'm glad that I recognised my personality trait, and knew it would easily get me, so always declined. (it helped too that it smells f'ing horrible :LOL:) - though again, so does smoking cigarettes, and I used to hate that too before starting!

I also consider this one of the best decisions I ever made. I also moved out after a short while when things started going missing from my room. Things like, my wages.

B

BrokenToy

I've been a good boy all week so I'm going to have a nice Guinness now and (hopefullly!) enjoy the Rugby. I'll be sure to keep posting throughout the day unless my internet fails. I'm obviously hoping for Ireland to win a Grand Slam, but as long as it's a good match with both teams going for the win I'll be happy. I wrote a little poem just off the top of my head earlier about the rugby today called England V Ireland, if anyone is interested it's in the Members Gallery section. Wishing you all a good weekend!

B

BrokenToy

Nice Grand Slam win for Ireland and I'm happier than I've been in 6 months. I've had 3 cans of Guinness and then I had a full fry-up and a cup of tea. I might drink two, maybe three more cans and that's me done.

E

exyz

Well, the better team won. Glad that you are eating, a fry up sounds good. Well paced there!
I might just mosey over to the poem....;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
schizolanza Substance Abuse Forum 50