• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I'm getting nowehere with the NHS mental health team

B

Bunnie_mother

TW: self harm

So I guess I just need a space to rant. I was told by my neuropsychiatrst I have traits of EUPD so I need to be referred to the community mental health team. This is because I had an attachment to someone then they blocked me so i started self harming out of anger. I have other symptoms too. I got a letter saying that I don't meet the criteria. A few months later and things get worse. I feel like everyone hates me and is angry with me so I self harmed and posted it on my Instagram story to see if anyone would care. Anyway I called the GP again and they said it seems like I have bpd or bipolar and I need to see a psychiatrist to see which one I have. They refer me then I get rejected again! I got refered for counselling but I don't feel like it's very helpful. I don't really feel like counsellors understand me. Anyway, I have a private psychiatric assessment on Monday. And I shouldn't have had to do it but I don't feel like I had much of a choice. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

TW: self harm

So I guess I just need a space to rant. I was told by my neuropsychiatrst I have traits of EUPD so I need to be referred to the community mental health team. This is because I had an attachment to someone then they blocked me so i started self harming out of anger. I have other symptoms too. I got a letter saying that I don't meet the criteria. A few months later and things get worse. I feel like everyone hates me and is angry with me so I self harmed and posted it on my Instagram story to see if anyone would care. Anyway I called the GP again and they said it seems like I have bpd or bipolar and I need to see a psychiatrist to see which one I have. They refer me then I get rejected again! I got refered for counselling but I don't feel like it's very helpful. I don't really feel like counsellors understand me. Anyway, I have a private psychiatric assessment on Monday. And I shouldn't have had to do it but I don't feel like I had much of a choice. Has anyone else had a similar situation?
hey bunnie mother

sorry to hear about the struggle you’ve had getting help. I know I’ve had struggles getting help I think it’s because in my experience they’ve only helped when there’s been symptoms of psychosis or if I was at a risk to myself or others even when I was self harming they wouldn’t see me because I was functioning which Im not saying is right but there we go, I know they’re manic busy and stuff so I guess they prioritises who needs their help in my case like yours I felt like They were saying I wasn’t worth helping Or that I wasn’t suffering Which isn’t the case and I don’t think they were trying to say that. Don’t get me wrong I love the NHS so much they’re amazing people and they’ve saved my life more times than I account but given their limited resources and the amount of people that want help that’s probably why they‘ve done it, I honestly think you’ve done the best thing going private to get some idea of what kind of help you need! Also once you get the initial help you can go back on the NHS and the person who would have seen you will be an NHS consultant in a private capacity so they can’t Justify saying you don’t need our help if the consultant thinks you do!

I hope your private appointment goes well! :hug:

HLon99

HLon99

I totally agree, you shouldn't have to resort to paying out of pocket to see a private psychiatrist. Not many people know but if you are unhappy with the care that you are receiving from a particular clinic or mental health trust, you can simply ask your GP to refer you to a different clinic or a trust. According to a 2014 act you have the legal right of choice when it comes to selecting which team or clinic treats you so if one doesn't work out you can try another. You might have to travel further, but it would be worth it.

More info:

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I totally agree, you shouldn't have to resort to paying out of pocket to see a private psychiatrist. Not many people know but if you are unhappy with the care that you are receiving from a particular clinic or mental health trust, you can simply ask your GP to refer you to a different clinic or a trust. According to a 2014 act you have the legal right of choice when it comes to selecting which team or clinic treats you so if one doesn't work out you can try another. You might have to travel further, but it would be worth it.

More info:
I didn’t know that, great information - thank you!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Are you considering medication? That is often why someone is referred to a psychiatrist, to be diagnosed and suitable medication offered. I think this is most often the case, when someone is depressed.

If you have EUPD, then there is DBT, counselling, psychology, other talking supports.

Bipolar Disorder is hypo/mania and depression.

Do you think you might be depressed? Do you think you have had hypo/mania?

A private psychiatrist should be very helpful, but you might be offered medication.

You do need help with your difficulties as it is not a nice way to live. I am sure that one day you will be able to manage again. I just feel so sad that you have to pay to see someone privately as it is very expensive. You might need a follow up too, if you need to discuss your medication. A GP does not always want to deal with psychiatric medication, other than anti depressants, until you are stable on medication and then they take over, in my experience.

W

WhySoSerious

I tend to find the NHS only takes very impaired people and the threshold is ridiculously high. In my area its a two year wait for therapy and they won't give anyone DBT without extremely risky behaviours. Which isn't all that helpful as people then escalate to get a service.

From my experience you won't get much more with the NHS and they don't do counselling in most trusts nowadays. What is it you are actually looking for exactly? Just be good to know what you expect. What does understanding you look like?

If you don't meet the criteria for full BPD they won't offer DBT. They may offer generic psychotherapy but it's similar to counselling in many ways.

Good luck!

W

WhySoSerious

hey bunnie mother

sorry to hear about the struggle you’ve had getting help. I know I’ve had struggles getting help I think it’s because in my experience they’ve only helped when there’s been symptoms of psychosis or if I was at a risk to myself or others even when I was self harming they wouldn’t see me because I was functioning which Im not saying is right but there we go, I know they’re manic busy and stuff so I guess they prioritises who needs their help in my case like yours I felt like They were saying I wasn’t worth helping Or that I wasn’t suffering Which isn’t the case and I don’t think they were trying to say that. Don’t get me wrong I love the NHS so much they’re amazing people and they’ve saved my life more times than I account but given their limited resources and the amount of people that want help that’s probably why they‘ve done it, I honestly think you’ve done the best thing going private to get some idea of what kind of help you need! Also once you get the initial help you can go back on the NHS and the person who would have seen you will be an NHS consultant in a private capacity so they can’t Justify saying you don’t need our help if the consultant thinks you do!

I hope your private appointment goes well! :hug:
I'd be wary w assumptions like that re private consultants sway w NHS. I know of many private psychiatrists who say someone needs x, y and z and the NHS ignore it because it's not their decision. Many private psychiatrists will give you what you want if the money is coming in. The NHS often holds private psychiatrists opinions in fairly low regard when it comes to offering treatment esp if it costs.

P

Pollypop

More info:
I wish I had known that at the time.
My CMHT were dreadful in all areas.
In fact, I would go so far as to say disgusting.

I had to go private and the NHS caused PTSD.

HLon99

HLon99

[/QUO
I wish I had known that at the time.
My CMHT were dreadful in all areas.
In fact, I would go so far as to say disgusting.

Very sorry to hear that, its all too common of a story. I strongly recommend that anyone with mental health issues gets clued up about their rights. The system of mental health care is very dysfunctional and corrupt in this country, you really need to know your way around if you want to get anywhere.

M

MYTIMEHASCOME

I'd be wary w assumptions like that re private consultants sway w NHS. I know of many private psychiatrists who say someone needs x, y and z and the NHS ignore it because it's not their decision. Many private psychiatrists will give you what you want if the money is coming in. The NHS often holds private psychiatrists opinions in fairly low regard when it comes to offering treatment esp if it costs.
Hello why so serious! :) hope you’re good! I agree with what you’re saying but A large amount of private consultants who work for the big private companies like spite and bupa are consultants who work for the NHS they’re NHS doctors doing private work on the side. I’m not saying it would definitely make the NHS go “now you’ve got the opinion of one of our consultants privately we’re going to give you access to treatment we didn’t previously” because the mental health doctors I’ve experienced usually make team based decisions to get a variety of opinions. But at least it’s a starting point for a diagnosis - most people have to wait years for a diagnosis, it’s a long time to suffer :(