• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I'm getting hopeless, do I have OCD?

F

foreigngirl

For three years now I have been taking medication for my severe ADHD.
(My first year of high school I would stay up crying that I couldn't focus. I had Cs and Ds and now I have almost straight A's and take AP and honors classes, so I plan on continuing my medication)

I have always done repetitive self harm and bit my nails but my ADHD would distract me, now I find myself zoning out for up to 3 hours picking my split ends even if all my classmates at staring at me like I'm crazy, then it progresses to more serious harm to myself. The same domino effect happens in front of my mirror when I start with a blackhead or pimple I continue harming at any tiny imperfections on my entire body and face for hours, its almost like an out of body experience like it numbs my mind but afterwards I feel very depressed, tired, numb, sore, hopeless and out of control. For a few years I have tried countless things to prevent this like taping down the light switch in my bath room or doing intense cardio workouts so that I get a similar mindless high. I am embarrassed to wear tank tops because the top part of my arms are literally covered in scar tissue. I am not self harming. I feel alone because nobody understands, It feels like an addiction... is this OCD?

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
sounds like sh to me. a definition of self harm is the act of deliberately causing harm to oneself. which sounds to me what you are doing. i dont know much about ocd though.

why do you tape down the light switch in the bathroom? oh i got it i think. so you cant see your imperfection in the bathroom mirror?

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya, I am sorry, but those details do come under self harm, so I have had to delete them. I have tried to keep the integrity of the post though.

No-one can diagnose on a forum, but repetitive self harm in such little ways, is still self harm honey. But its a symptom of what is underneath. Have you ever investigated getting any therapy honey to find out why you do this? ADHD should stop you from trying to work things out for yourself.

M

midnightpanda

Have you looked into derotillomania? Its a subtype on the OCD spectrum.
My sister had a similar issue. She locked herself in the bathroom for HOURS repetitively self harming.
Only recently did she admit this is what she was doing all those years.
Like the above poster said, none of us can diagnose you.
But i strongly suggest looking up dermotillomania (not sure on the spelling)
If you feel it fits you should set up an appointment with a doctor.
My sisters obsession went on for years and she suffered in silence but she destroyed her face in the process.
It took a long time for it to repair itself and you wouldnt want the same happening to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
E After getting diagnosed my OCD got worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
L Really struggling pure O getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 18
O the affect of getting sober Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
Amelia2020 My ocd is getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A I have severe OCD which has only been getting worse. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
G Getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
Scarlet2021 The obsessive thoughts are getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Getting started dealing with things? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B ROCD - Breaking-up and getting back together. I don't want to hurt my partner more. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
R Getting really obsessive about new hobbies/activities/passions etc... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
F POCD Update 4 : Getting close Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
G OCD Getting Sued/ Financial Ruination Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S Scared of getting sick Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
T getting there Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A OCD getting worse again. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A OCD getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
G OCD is getting the best of me Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D Symptoms getting worse, really could use some help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
S Hi, having another bad day - trying to confront fears but just getting more fearful... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
V Fear of getting sick? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
Z I keep on getting obsessive thoughts about my teeth. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
O Getting obsessed with proven therapy techniques?!? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
Ducky Getting Rid of Intrusive Thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
G Getting worse and worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S Feeling hopeless and lost 😞 Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Hopeless marriage Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
S Feeling hopeless Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Ocd came back Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
K Ocd hell Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
E IS THIS STILL OCD? please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Pure OCD and reputation damaged. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
Timae7 What happened (harm OCD story) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
P My OCD Experience Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
Nate Stressed harm OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
M Do I Have OCD or Just Overthinking? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Religious OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
G My OCD cured perfectly Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
dontknowwhattodowithoutyou I am the worst person ever. real event ocd TW sexual Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
JAYBOY100 Never felt like this before OCD intrusive thoughts? 😔 Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
A I am afraid I will lose someone due to OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
Jrick35 OCD/Intrusive thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
O Ocd thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
stevie_sloth How do I know if it's GAD or OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 17
B OCD? Sexual/violent/intrusive thoughts. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
O Ocd and mistaking feelings Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
O Ocd wierd dream Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
P OCD or psychosis? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
P OCD and loneliness Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
R Ocd Like Symptoms Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2