• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Im curious if others do this too

R

RiffRaff

When I start to get very anxious and head towards a panic attack I seem to want to lift up my left arm and rest it in my head. My husband has seen it so much he knows by that I am about to have a panic attack.

I also got weird cool tingle feeling on top of my head and privates. I know that's a bit weird but it's pretty consistent.

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

I don't think it's that weird. I reckon things like that are more common than we realise. For me, it's always the left side of my body that's most affected by my panic attacks. I get twitches, spasms, even tics. And all that usually starts on the left side and spreads to the right, if my attack lasts long enough. I usually get the urge to crawl into a corner on the floor as far away from any sensory stimulation as possible and curl up with left arm and knee over my face. Maybe this is just the way your body tries to protect itself. It's quite helpful that you have this telltale sign though, that your husband can pick up on. None of my family is bothered to be observant.

I think that cool tingling sensation you get could be related to your blood pressure or blood sugar levels as that attack is about to strike, maybe related to your cortisol levels getting higher, or whatever other chemicals are flooding your body in that moment. I get pins and needles and a hot and cold sensation up and down my body when these things happen.

R

RiffRaff

I don't think it's that weird. I reckon things like that are more common than we realise. For me, it's always the left side of my body that's most affected by my panic attacks. I get twitches, spasms, even tics. And all that usually starts on the left side and spreads to the right, if my attack lasts long enough. I usually get the urge to crawl into a corner on the floor as far away from any sensory stimulation as possible and curl up with left arm and knee over my face. Maybe this is just the way your body tries to protect itself. It's quite helpful that you have this telltale sign though, that your husband can pick up on. None of my family is bothered to be observant.

I think that cool tingling sensation you get could be related to your blood pressure or blood sugar levels as that attack is about to strike, maybe related to your cortisol levels getting higher, or whatever other chemicals are flooding your body in that moment. I get pins and needles and a hot and cold sensation up and down my body when these things happen.
Yes I do get the cold sensations. Not just sensations either. I am actually freezing cold. My hands and feet are like ice. I seem to be that way all the time now that my baseline anxiety is so high.

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

Yes I do get the cold sensations. Not just sensations either. I am actually freezing cold. My hands and feet are like ice. I seem to be that way all the time now that my baseline anxiety is so high.
Apparently it's the body's response to the hyperventilation that occurs during a panic attack. It speeds up your heart rate and pulls blood away from your extremities (like hands and feet) and further towards your core to protect your vital organs as the body believes it's under attack. Sort of like if you were wounded, your body would respond in this way as it goes into shock.

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

It's so bizarre to find so many people who've been going through similar things as me, because my whole life, my family has always made me feel like I'm completely alone in this. Like no one else experiences all this. I feel a lot more comfortable knowing it's not just me since joining all this mental health forums.

R

RiffRaff

It's been so long since I have felt truly relaxed. I am always so tense that my sides and ribs hurt and twitch. I have recently started visualizing my anxiety before bed. I see it as a messy ball of yarn that I straighten out as I drift off. At least i am not waking up gasping for air due to breath holding in my sleep.

What kids of things do you do to relax?

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

It's been so long since I have felt truly relaxed. I am always so tense that my sides and ribs hurt and twitch. I have recently started visualizing my anxiety before bed. I see it as a messy ball of yarn that I straighten out as I drift off. At least i am not waking up gasping for air due to breath holding in my sleep.

What kids of things do you do to relax?
I've been struggling lately with that. The physical symptoms have become worse since a crisis about 7 months ago and another around 2 weeks ago. They prescribed me diazepam, which really helped but made me a bit useless and dazed. I didn't mind it though, I liked the sedative effect. It was bliss for a while. But it's considered too dangerous at the moment because of my low weight and blood pressure. I've found weighted blankets help me, and trying to keep my blood sugar levels balanced, using grounding techniques like focusing on sensory things that won't trigger it further. I use my dog's blanket and remember his strong, steady heartbeat. Mindfulness and focusing on my breathing... running out of ideas these days though. Nothing works as well as that diazepam did on me. But they're hesistant to give me any more benzos for a while. I sleep a lot too. I try to curl up under my heavy duvet and wait for it to pass. Getting harder in the summer. It's that rapid heart rate that puts me most at risk at the moment. I've been severely underweight most my life and they believe that this loss of body fat and loss of muscle may have affected my heart. Definitely the anxiety that's causing all this. I first started having it when I was 3 and it caused sudden extreme weight loss. So I also pass out a lot and have low blood pressure and issues with my resting heart rate. The crisis I had 7 months ago when my dog died caused me to become hypervigilant, develop severe tics, dissosiation and auditory and visual hallucinations, the hyperventilation caused hypoglycaemia (severe blood sugar drop). Hypoglycaemia is usually only something that diabetics get, so we were surprised. I live in fear of another one of those severe episodes all the time.

R

RiffRaff

I've been struggling lately with that. The physical symptoms have become worse since a crisis about 7 months ago and another around 2 weeks ago. They prescribed me diazepam, which really helped but made me a bit useless and dazed. I didn't mind it though, I liked the sedative effect. It was bliss for a while. But it's considered too dangerous at the moment because of my low weight and blood pressure. I've found weighted blankets help me, and trying to keep my blood sugar levels balanced, using grounding techniques like focusing on sensory things that won't trigger it further. I use my dog's blanket and remember his strong, steady heartbeat. Mindfulness and focusing on my breathing... running out of ideas these days though. Nothing works as well as that diazepam did on me. But they're hesistant to give me any more benzos for a while. I sleep a lot too. I try to curl up under my heavy duvet and wait for it to pass. Getting harder in the summer. It's that rapid heart rate that puts me most at risk at the moment. I've been severely underweight most my life and they believe that this loss of body fat and loss of muscle may have affected my heart. Definitely the anxiety that's causing all this. I first started having it when I was 3 and it caused sudden extreme weight loss. So I also pass out a lot and have low blood pressure and issues with my resting heart rate. The crisis I had 7 months ago when my dog died caused me to become hypervigilant, develop severe tics, dissosiation and auditory and visual hallucinations, the hyperventilation caused hypoglycaemia (severe blood sugar drop). Hypoglycaemia is usually only something that diabetics get, so we were surprised. I live in fear of another one of those severe episodes all the time.
Im sorry about your pupper:(
I actually had to find a home for my dog. I was so allergic to her. Beautiful scotch collie:(
Do you have any pictures of your pup?

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

Wow these are coming out BIG. Sorry about that that. He sure was a stunning boy though.

Storm in a Teacup

Storm in a Teacup

The weird thing is that before Kai passed, and even as he was passing, I was so strong. I was Kai's strongest advocate and stayed by his side to look after him throughout that. My entire family kept looking to me as their rock. As long as he was alive, I was so preoccupied with making sure he had every need met and had a peaceful passing, I was able to stay very strong. Even when everyone else broke down around me, I was the strongest there because I wanted to make sure was happy and comfortable and passed peacefully and with diginity. It was about 40 minutes after he passed that I just broke then. Haven't been the same since.

R

RiffRaff

The weird thing is that before Kai passed, and even as he was passing, I was so strong. I was Kai's strongest advocate and stayed by his side to look after him throughout that. My entire family kept looking to me as their rock. As long as he was alive, I was so preoccupied with making sure he had every need met and had a peaceful passing, I was able to stay very strong. Even when everyone else broke down around me, I was the strongest there because I wanted to make sure was happy and comfortable and passed peacefully and with diginity. It was about 40 minutes after he passed that I just broke then. Haven't been the same since.
Beautiful dog. Sorry for your loss.