• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm constantly overthinking and worrying about the worst :(

G

Generic123

Ok, please help :(
I'm always overthinking, the way people look, say things too me, etc and I usually make up scenarios in my head based on little snippets of facts ive witnessed.
An example, my manager stayed behind in the car park of work, which is unusual, and he was unusually nice to me, but earlier we had, had a bit of tension. So now my head (as usual) has gone into panic mode and ive put all these things together and come up with he was staying behind in the car park so he could go back in and tell my boss about me, and now I'm going to get told off. I get an overwhelming sense of panic and immedialty think the worst thing and it's like my whole world is collapsing. Now I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. This happens a lot with me, I put things together and come up with a negative outcome based on events ive witnessed. Same with people, if someone's off with me, I immedialty think I've done soemthing to offend them and go over and over in my head, what I've said or done to them previously.
Is anyone else like this, I mean do I have any reason to worry, should I be worried. At the moment I cannot think of anything else.

F

fair&square75

Hi generic...I am also like this,although not working at the moment,it can be over whelming cant it? So I sympathise...got to admit I've partly shut myself away from the world because of it,but I think it will always be a problem for me...sorry I'm not much help,hopefully someone could offer some good advice on this,just saw ur post and couldn't ignore it x

NervyTwo

NervyTwo

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I know how you feel, I'm exactly the same. The number of scenarios and the outcomes that arise (all of them negative) I can run through my mind is something even I find hard to believe. It's incredibly easy to get stuck in a constant revolving-door of negative thoughts, all of which seem more logical and rational than the last.

My solution (and this has worked for me somewhat) is to force myself to think positively. I know that sounds obvious, but it can be very difficult at first, but for me at least it's the only way to avoid getting trapped in a negative cycle of thought.

I hope you find some comfort and assurance soon. :)

G

Generic123

I know how you feel, I'm exactly the same. The number of scenarios and the outcomes that arise (all of them negative) I can run through my mind is something even I find hard to believe. It's incredibly easy to get stuck in a constant revolving-door of negative thoughts, all of which seem more logical and rational than the last.

My solution (and this has worked for me somewhat) is to force myself to think positively. I know that sounds obvious, but it can be very difficult at first, but for me at least it's the only way to avoid getting trapped in a negative cycle of thought.

I hope you find some comfort and assurance soon. :)
Thanks, I wish I could turn things into positive it's so hard, it's like my brain is on a constant cycle of anxiety, I've become TOO aware of everything that people around me are doing or saying, constantly analyzing over and over every single conversation I've had. My mind just never ever stops. It's caused my concentration to be non existent, I will literally do things without realising I'm doing it because im constantly thinking over and over something else. Listening is also something that's become hard, someone can tell me something or I can try to remember something and instantly forget. This causes more self awareness because people tease me about it. I used too be very switched on. Even conversations I become annoyed with and uninterested because it's distrupting my thinking of something else. Im nothing like the person I used too be, I feel like I'm not living in the moment at all, it sounds weird but everything seems cloudy.

Unique1

Unique1

I experience this a lot too. It's exhausting isn't it.
I too cut myself off because of it.
I don't have any answers I'm afraid, I suffer with anxiety. I've been placed on a list to have phsychology sessions.
Apparently mindfulness is very helpful, which I believe you can be referred for by your GP, or a therapist, depending on where you live would depend on what is available and the wait list, but worth looking into.
I wish you well, it can get better with the right help.

W

Wiff180

This thread did remind me of myself. I seem to get into a spiral of overthinking. From something I read on someones screen at work, to snippets of something I hear someone say - I seem to spin an elaborate tail to myself which inevitably has a negative ending. For instance someone I work with would tell me something about her day, I would twist it in my head to conclude she is being critical of me. When in reality she's just making comment. I seem to make everything about me from the smallest of comment. I can't switch off either. When I am away from the office my mind replays scenarios, often picking out the smallest comment and over analysing it. I'd LOVE to be able to not do this, but I simply can't. The only thing I do which sometimes works is make a list. Contradicting how I feel and then reading it until I almost convince myself. I've had some therapy, but for now I am just trying to manage it. If anyone else has any hints that work for them I'd like to hear please...