• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I'm bipolar and I'm always afraid

Q

Queenoface

Ever since I got diagnosed with this disorder, I've felt fear everyday where it is to a point it is starting to interfere with my work life. What exactly is this I'm experiencing and does anyone have the same issues?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Hi.
Is it a fear of anything in particular? A fear of another episode? A fear of people seeing you ill? A fear of people finding out that you have this disorder? Anxiety perhaps caused by medication?

JessisMe

JessisMe

Are you afraid of having another manic episode?

Q

Queenoface

I fear that and that one day I will not be able to work. But i am also always nervous

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Oh my yes, but on the other hand .... you can work and keep the episodes hidden from work ... its hard but can be done i use to have 'flu' once in a while

S

Silverfox29

I'm in constant fear also. Fear manifests itself in so many different ways. I get anxiety in public, when I'm doing things around the house, especially when I'm overwhelmed with too much to do. But I know its a good thing to keep my mind occupied. I work from home and when I'm not having a good day, getting on the phone is a source of my anxiety and fear. I find that the only way to make my fear go away is just to focus on one thing at a time and do what needs to be done and stop worrying about anything or anyone else.
If you were just put on your meds you maybe are experiencing your fear and nervousness from them. Getting your dosage right can be frustrating and you need to stay in contact with your doctor and let him know how you are feeling. I'm in the process of my meds being adjusted and I'm optimistic that it will help with my anxiety.
People will see what you want them to see, so stay confident in yourself and your capabilities of doing your job well.

E

EclipticNight

Most of us bipolar folk fake it out there in the normal world. Some days will be really hard and some not. It wont cripple you. Before you knew it was still there after all.

G

Gratefultobewell

I think you have to distinguish the difference from fear and anxiety. For me fear is worrying about things that may or may not happen, like how would I live if my husband dies and I am alone? What if I get really sick and have to have ECT again, things like that. Anxiety I feel in my body, a pit in my stomach, my heart beating faster, I have trouble thinking straight, and I can’t calm down. When I am feeling fear I try to notice that I need to live in the present. Anxiety can be helped with medications, meditation, therapy, exercise. Neither one is easy to deal with, but you can come up with some coping strategies and they can help a bit.

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

I don't even know who I am when I'm manic. The money I spend, the items I buy, and the things I do just makes me depressed when I'm no longer manic. It's like living the life of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Recently I've been thinking of finding some rich guy to help pay my debts because I really over did it last time.

I'm always afraid, mostly of myself. Both of my parents are bipolar as were both of their fathers. The only time I feel normal is when I'm around other bipolar people.

Welcome to the forums.

M

Mav2126

I understand the fear you are talking about. When I start getting depressed I feel a deep seated dread. It is a generalized fear that seeps into everything in my life. I am afraid to do anything. I have even been afraid to take a shower because I will forget how to was myself! How fucking crazy is that? So it can be terrible this fear you are talking about. I do find it dissipates when I am on the right medication and it starts working. If I had to recommend a medication I would say Zyprexa. Not alot of people on these boards talk about medication that helped them. Zyprexa really lowered my fear. The downside is Zyprexa causes you to gain weight. But I am trying to fight that by lowering my calories and it seems like it is working. Zyprexa was a wonder drug for me. Curious as to other people on these boards what medications really worked for them?

M

Mob

Yes I live in fear. What if I hurt someone in my manic phase. Psychosis is a terrible thing.