• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

im bi polar can they refuse me the right to have a child?

J

jekel1

i have had the implant in my arm for two years and i have a doctors appointment in th emorning. can she refuse to take my implant out? i am on depokote you see and i know it can cause birth defects so i would wait 6 months and ween my self off it , but im always going to on meds so why not now , i have never felt so normal. what should i say to her?

?

>.<

No they can't. That would be unethical and wrong on so many levels. I know of plenty of people who have MH issues who are fabulous parents. If you ask for it out, you should be treated like everyone else.

TC :flowers:

M

mickeymoo

Don't worry! They definitely can't!

T

TOONAFISH

Hiya

They can't refuse to take it out.

I was told not to have anymore children after my daughter. They said 100% that I would be admitted after the birth of any more children. I was sterilised not long after. I always wanted a big family and i love my two kids, but I do get broody sometimes. I still dont know if i did the right thing.

jax

jax

I am on depakote and also have the implant - I can have the implant taken out whenever I like - it's my life but they may take me off my depokate.

J

jekel1

what shall i do if she refuses? do you think the doctor will be un helpfull? i do it hin she will be really unhelpfull. but i want a child i feel really well and already have two children so i know what im doing! thanks for your anwers guys , can you see where im coming from?

J

jekel1

now someone siad they can refuse me if my bi polar isnt controlled and take the baby away from me when its born is this true? i hop not i feel as if im being forced to not have more children

E

eternaljourney

I think if you were so unwell that you were finding it hard to cope and couldn't look after the baby you would be given as much help as possible.
They'd want to get you well so that you could continue to care for your baby.
You say you have 2 other children and if they're living happily with their Mum then I can't see a reason why another edition to your family wouldn't be too:)

oneday

oneday

:) Hi Jekel

If you feel under pressure from your doctor, not supported by her in your plan to have another child, I would suggest getting in touch with a mental health advocacy service to support you or advise you, perhaps attend meetings with you if you wanted, and speak up for you and make sure the doctor/services support you as they should.

As you're in Bradford, I Googled for advocacy there and found:

Advocacy
Bradford & Airedale Mental Health Advocacy Group - Bradford Office
Phone: 01274 770 118 or 770 263
Email: [email protected]

Legal advice/your rights
You could also get clear legal advice about your rights, for free, from the Mind Legal Advice Service helpline: 0845 225 9393, email: [email protected]

There is also a national Mind Infoline for more general information: 0845 766 0163, and they could give you details about Bradford Mind who might be able to give you further info/support.

Other info/support
I'm sure the national organisation MDF The BiPolar Organisation would have experience in this area and could advise you and give you information, but I think you need to join as a member. Phone and speak to them first: 0845 634 0540, email: [email protected] web: www.mdf.org.uk

I also wonder if there are services/organisations local to you who might provide further, perhaps ongoing, support e.g. women's or family organisations or projects - you could ask at your local Citizen's Advice Bureau or similar advice centre. E.g. a quick Google search turned up the Bradford Family Support Network, email: [email protected]

Medication
Finally, if you decide to reduce or withdraw from the meds you are on, I'd suggest seeing the thread in this section (Bipolar Disorder - Manic-Depression Forum) called 'Bipolar and medication free', started by skyblue, including the info I posted there yesterday about useful resources to help with reduction/withdrawal.

Anyway, hope some of this info will be useful. Best of luck
Oneday