• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm awaiting a court hearing for driving without insurance

L

Loua123

Hello
I'm a single mother and I work in a full-time healthcare professional job. I was caught driving without insurance and I could face up to a two year ban. This would seriously disrupt my whole life as I have no family or friends to assist me in looking after my son, who is 12 and I work very erratic hours.
I don't know what to do. I was so depressed and to top thing off I received two more summons for driving offences that I don't even recall. One I think was for speeding, the other I haven't a clue. Nothing serious like dangerous driving or drink-driving, just minor traffic offences but I fear they will impact on the driving ban appeal.
I was caught without insurance two years ago. It seems a long time to wait for an appeal and I don't know how I can manage if I'm banned.
There's also the fact that my job status may be affected. I worry about being deregistered.
I'm tied up in knots over this.
I feel like ending it all. The pressure and the worry is too much.
Can anyone offer any words of kindness or compassion instead of the usual "that's what you get for committing an offence" line.

Thanks

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm sorry you're going through this. Ending things isn't the solution though,surely there's something that can be done?

I wish I had advice. I'm in the US and I see you're not. Where I live there's insurance agencies that for a hefty fee will backtrack and make it look as if a person did have coverage. It's shady,illegal business but it works.

Hugs

L

Loua123

Thanks for your reply
Unfortunately it's too late for that, as I have already admitted to not having insurance, as I did not have the documentation and also I did not know of any company that could supply me with it.
I know ending my life is extreme and I won't do it but the despair was so immense. I will look into something like that. Maybe there is something I could do to make it look like I had insurance.
Many thanks

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Loua try not to worry. It doesn't really get any less serious. I don't think you'll get banned.

A

AuraSunset

Get the best legal support you can, express regret and ask the court for leniency. Make sure they know that a ban would seriously affect your ability to work and take care of your son. Most courts don't want to make a parent unable to work or care for their child, unless they've committed very serious offences. And most don't give out the maximum penalties for driving offences unless they are dealing with serial offenders. But be really careful in the future. The more offences you commit, even if they are minor, the more likely it is that a court will be harsh with you.

L

Loua123

I know and that's why I'm going to do it. I'm going to end my life because the guards have issued me with two other court summons. I appreciate all your advise and concern but my case is hopeless. I'm working on call tonight but I will not go home. I can't face a ban. Goodbye and thanks.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

This isn't worth killing yourself over.

Please think of your son before doing anything.

L

Loua123

I've ruined my son's life anyway. He'd be better off without me.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
How have you ruined your son's life? Who will look after him?

You should wait, you can always kill yourself afterwards, not that I think it is a good idea.

You will probably just get a fine and some points, especially with your situation, what you did is not that bad and they wont want you on benefits and it having a negative effect on your son.

I think you should go to you GP and get some support whilst you are going through this.

Edinscotbrit

Edinscotbrit

Thanks for your reply
Unfortunately it's too late for that, as I have already admitted to not having insurance, as I did not have the documentation and also I did not know of any company that could supply me with it.
I know ending my life is extreme and I won't do it but the despair was so immense. I will look into something like that. Maybe there is something I could do to make it look like I had insurance.
Many thanks
Do you really want to add fraud into the mix as well?

Funnyday

Funnyday

Make an impact statement and ask to present it to the court. When they ask you if you have anything to say to them on the matter. If you are under the CMHT ask them to attend with you as well.

Funnyday

Funnyday

Let us know how you get on.

MissPink

MissPink

How have you ruined your son's life? Who will look after him?

You should wait, you can always kill yourself afterwards, not that I think it is a good idea.

You will probably just get a fine and some points, especially with your situation, what you did is not that bad and they wont want you on benefits and it having a negative effect on your son.

I think you should go to you GP and get some support whilst you are going through this.
I've ruined my son's life anyway. He'd be better off without me.
Are you still alive?

I

irwin

Insurance is a big expense when you're just getting by. I've been in your situation. I don't have any advice, though. It sucks.

fazza

fazza

Hello
I'm a single mother and I work in a full-time healthcare professional job. I was caught driving without insurance and I could face up to a two year ban. This would seriously disrupt my whole life as I have no family or friends to assist me in looking after my son, who is 12 and I work very erratic hours.
I don't know what to do. I was so depressed and to top thing off I received two more summons for driving offences that I don't even recall. One I think was for speeding, the other I haven't a clue. Nothing serious like dangerous driving or drink-driving, just minor traffic offences but I fear they will impact on the driving ban appeal.
I was caught without insurance two years ago. It seems a long time to wait for an appeal and I don't know how I can manage if I'm banned.
There's also the fact that my job status may be affected. I worry about being deregistered.
I'm tied up in knots over this.
I feel like ending it all. The pressure and the worry is too much.
Can anyone offer any words of kindness or compassion instead of the usual "that's what you get for committing an offence" line.

Thanks
Are you in the UK. If so hoe will this result in a 2 year ban?

6 points for driving with no insurance if totaling 12 points then you could face a 6 months ban.

Who told you that you would/could be banned for 2 years?