I'm an alcoholic

schizolanza

schizolanza

My wife works as a carer on permanent nights. She gets in about 8am ,eats and usually has one drink before bed.
So now that we've both stopped she came in this morning. Had her meal and went to bed without her drink. 45 minutes earlier than usual.
She didn't sleep well. I'm hoping she will sleep better tomorrow. Now that I'm improving I want to help her in any way I can. She's off tomorrow and I don't know what she's gonna do with her time. She's used to chilling on the pc , sipping wine. I'm afraid she'll get bored and regret her decision to stop.

schizolanza

schizolanza

The cravings are almost gone. But I'm drinking lots of tea , juice, pop and hot chocolate. I think I'll try mineral water tomorrow. I still feel the need to have a belly full of fluid.

Tired Daisy

Tired Daisy

I can't just have one or 2. And it's every day. Enough I fucking quit. I'm gonna spend my cash on better things.
The cravings come on in waves. I need support. How long till the cravings GO?
The cravings can last up to a month providing you stay clean of alcohol. Get yourself some herbal teas.

schizolanza

schizolanza

I have some opium lettuce growing in my back garden. I could make tea out of that.

megirl

megirl

Yes I have herbal tea as a 'treat' which I enjoy. Their is some really nice teas out their now, and they are quite refreshing.
Likewise I drink quite a lot of fluids. I guess I was used to having something in my hand. Sometimes I have ginger beer nonalcoholic thats what I have when I go out.
I tell myself as if I go out for a meal and others are drinking I have a dessert as well swapping calories of alcohol to another treat.
I also have Milo its like hot chocolate.
You are doing so well x

schizolanza

schizolanza

There's a cash flow problem today because there was an error so my wife's wages were short by £270. So she's been stressed because there are bills to pay.
But today is a good day because it's day 6 and not had to destress with alcohol.

schizolanza

schizolanza

Yes I have herbal tea as a 'treat' which I enjoy. Their is some really nice teas out their now, and they are quite refreshing.
Likewise I drink quite a lot of fluids. I guess I was used to having something in my hand. Sometimes I have ginger beer nonalcoholic thats what I have when I go out.
I tell myself as if I go out for a meal and others are drinking I have a dessert as well swapping calories of alcohol to another treat.
I also have Milo its like hot chocolate.
You are doing so well x
I'd like to try chamomile tea. I wonder if I could grow some?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Chamomile tea is definitely an acquired taste. But stick with it cos it does help you relax. It might also help your wife sleep as well. My favourite tea is mango and honey. It’s a bit sweeter. I also drink honey and lemon. Just two slices of lemon boiling water and half a spoon of runny honey. It’s also good for sore throats

B

boots46

Best wishes to you. Let us know how you are getting on. Alcohol has been terrible for my mental health. Keep lots of snacks and nice cool soft drinks to sip on. The first weekend was the worst for me, once I knew I could get past that it just got easier.

B

boots46

Keep a tally on how much you are NOT spending on alcohol...it really adds up. Maybe a holiday fund or a weekend away?

schizolanza

schizolanza

It's day 8. Everything is well except I was constipated. Wasn't expecting that.

schizolanza

schizolanza

It's day 8. Everything is well except I was constipated. Wasn't expecting that.

schizolanza

schizolanza

It's day 10. Was tempted last night but the cravings aren't so bad now. I need to start thinking about coping strategy for long term abstinence.

B

boots46

Was just thinking about you..well done...I bet you could do 11!

B

boots46

I think your best strategy is to take it one day at a time. Some need to take it an hour at a time so you are doing so well. Build up to a week at a time, then a month etc.

Definitely work on other relaxation techniques for when you would normally drink. Take up a hobby. I really got back into reading because I was usually too drunk in an evening to concentrate. Forgotten how much I love it. Have something to look forward to every evening, especially spending quality time with your family. Sober conversations are far more interesting. You can do this.

schizolanza

schizolanza

😀 Got some mineral water and green tea.
I bought myself some hand strengthener equipment from Amazon with some of the money I've saved. I'm strengthening my entire lower arms to help with my guitar practice.

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

How are you doing?

I was an active alcoholic for over 15 years, but have been dry for 9 years now.

Physically the body stop craving after a week, what is left is the brain craving. I went through 5 weeks of rehab trying to get dry and had CBT. It does help. AA helps many people - don't dismiss it - the support alone helps many people.

Mentally I still crave a whisky when things are rough, but I keep remembering what one alcoholic said to me

Would anything be made better by me having a drink

Hold that thought