• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm afraid of the dark (phobia)

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Some token for a Ghoulish Horror fan, eh?
It's true.
I go to bed and set the tv/dvd player to shut off after a certain time (I take meds), and I play movies that I'm familiar with and trust...if that makes sense. I love quiet but am petrified of the dark.
I have " nightlights" everywhere. :redface:

sallyG

sallyG

I sleep with my bedroom lamp on too...i also afraid of the dark...i think its quite a common thing to be afraid of.x

A

Apotheosis

Have to sleep with hall light on as well; as get bad nightmares; & it's far worse waking up if it's dark.

L

loveletter

So scared of the dark I fear a power cut a lot.
I have torch candle lighter by my bed and if ever sleep any where else have to take these things with me.

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

i used to be afraid of the dark too up till i was about 13 years old,then my bro died & then i started sitting up at the graveyard all by myself for hours on end in the pitch black dark.

now i am no longer :scared: of the dark,i can walk though woods so dark i can not even see my hands in front of my face & i do not care.

A

Asdir

I am afraid of the dark, but only inside a building, outside it can be as dark as anything and I'm ok. I can be in a dark cave and ok, but in a building I freak out in the dark. Torches everywhere in my house!

A

Affective

I was very afraid of the dark until I was about 17. I suppose it's because the darkness conceals things within it that you cannot see. It's nothing to be ashamed of, I don't know anyone who hasn't been afraid of the dark in some point of their lives.

Angels

Angels

the darkness terrifies me. i have to sleep with my bedroom light on. my room need to be full of light!!! :( i too get nightmares

missymoo

missymoo

I'm afraid of the dark as well :unsure:
ALL my life!
I remembe putting on videos just to have the light and voices from the TV. it made me feel like I wasnt alone in the room and I had the light from the TV. I would only play happy or positive tapes cause if I even think about scarey ones I have more nitemares. I cannot watch any creepy movies after dark or even just before dark. I must have lights on. my roomie/flatmate hates it. she makes me turn off the main light in the house sometimes cause it keeps her awake (its a very small house). I hate it when I cant have a light on. I immediately start being scared and edgy and start seeing and hearing things that arent there. I swear someone evil is watching me in the dark and waiting to get me when I turn my back on them. :cry: how pitiful is that?

Angels

Angels

missymoo your exactly like me!! i have to have light in my room. i cant even watch a scary cartoon at night,but i have the tv on so im not by myself. i get really paranoid and thing that theres a ghost or something horrible watching me in the corner of my room! then i start to hear things and see things move. even though theres other people in the house, at night i feel like im the only one in the house. :(

J

jacobrock23

I don't know its reason why i am afraid of dark but when I am alone in the dark, I start thinking about the horror movies I watched, strange events I read or heard and always feel as if something or somebody unusual is standing behind me. All these make me scared a bit

A

Allyke

I don't mind it when it's pitch black, it's when it's only half dark that i start to freak out. More so now than I used to. I hate seeing things like glass and mirrors where you have reflections when it's half dark, keep thinking i see things in them, or things are watching me for some reason.

D

DELATEXT

I cannot abide the dark, severe childhood trauma, must have light on other wise freak out big time !!!!

B

bobkerry

phobia!!!!

well friends...i am also afraid of darkness....I also keep my lights on even when i am sleeping.....But somehow i think that this is not a good thing we should face the darkness......inorder to extract the fear of dark.....