• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I'm a negative over thinker.

G

Generic123

I hope this is in the correct area of the forum.
I seem to have an issue of overthinking. Particulary in a negative sense.
I can't switch my mind off!
I analyze everything over and over and over and it just doesn't stop until I think of something else to analyze over and over. This is particulary the case with things people say or do. If someone says something to me, or acts in a particular way, I spend hours, sometimes even days thinking about it, and it seems the more I think about it the more I think of a negative outcome and then believe that outcome, causing me anxiety and a totally confused and exhausted brain! It's a real problem, I honeslty feel im not in the real world and I have to actually tell myself to stop to come back 'into the room' for a few minutes until I slip back into it.
I try to find comfort by googling and searching things that people have said. This is even more so, if I have a liking for a lady, that I over analyze everything she does or says to me, I then go onto the Internet and search for reason after reason.
I also think negative to gain a positive outcome. It seems that everything I think, the opposite happens/ is the truth. So I always now think negative to believe a positive outcome. I also feel people are always judging me negatively
What is wrong with me? Is it normal to be like this? I ha e ben like this for a long time and only now I'm starting to realise this may not be normal.

StillFighting

StillFighting

Hi, I'm struggling with something similar myself, so I can only imagine how difficult this must be for you. I have a tendency to over analyse situations as well, sometimes it's difficult to make my mind stop and let go. I also tend to worry a lot, and make worst-case scenarios for many situations (thinking that somehow I can prevent this way the worst-case scenario from happening :/ ).

I'm not sure if this is normal, I mean, I don't know what normal is supposed to be. I used to ask this question to myself as well, until at some point I stopped because I realized it was not a very useful question. Some questions I found useful (maybe you will, too?): Do you think/feel that this negative over thinking is affecting your every-day life? Does it prevent you from enjoying things or functioning? Or living the life you'd like to live? If so, have you considered discussing this with a doctor?

katya

katya

If it's causing you distress, I think it's something you should look into. I can definitely empathise with what you're saying. As StillFighting says, I'm not sure if it's normal or not - but I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone secretly worries a hell of a lot more than they let on.

Have you ever received therapy?

You could buy some books on cognitive behavioural therapy which might help you to avoid negative trains of thought.

Hope everything goes well for you.