• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Illness and the uncalm stage before enlightenment

chesterking

chesterking

What happens if a person becomes ill and can not do the meditation and he is feeling the 'meditation uncalm feeling'?
What happens if a person has been injured and is in pain and can not do the meditation to get rid of the 'meditation uncalm feeling' because he is in so much pain?
Does this mean the person doing the meditation is in trouble?

Kerome

Kerome

What exactly is the 'meditation uncalm feeling'? Is this something you feel which tells you when to meditate? Which meditation do you do to get rid of it?

chesterking

chesterking

What exactly is the 'meditation uncalm feeling'? Is this something you feel which tells you when to meditate? Which meditation do you do to get rid of it?
Its a feeling in the stomach area, a very unpleasant painful feeling. To get rid of the 'meditation uncalm feeling' I do the 'I AM' mantra meditation. As I breathe in I say 'I' to get in contact with my cool, calm, silent observer and as I breathe out I say 'Am'. I noticed when I do this, my breathing becomes very deep, as deep as can be. After a few minutes, I have a rest by lying on my back and then do another three or four minutes or whatever time it takes before my head starts to hurt.

Is this something you feel which tells you when to meditate?
Yes. I'm quite glad I have the 'meditation uncalm feeling' otherwise I would have forgot to do meditation many times and I would have got bored. The 'meditation uncalm feeling' forces me to meditate and in a way I'm grateful for that. Because of this feeling, in the past, I also had to do 'beginners traditional hatha yoga' but now I'm way past that stage.

I suppose this uncalm feeling came about, because I was doing meditation all day for 3 to 4 months, where I would look at the sky all day and I could blank out my mind that way.

I've had this 'mediation uncalm feeling' for over five months now, since late December 2014.

Last edited:
chesterking

chesterking

Kerome, how long have you been doing meditation for?

Kerome

Kerome

What happens if a person has been injured and is in pain and can not do the meditation to get rid of the 'meditation uncalm feeling' because he is in so much pain?
Does this mean the person doing the meditation is in trouble?
It sounds like you've been doing something unusual to your body energy. It's a bit hard to say exactly what, it may be some form of interaction of the meditation and your mental health. Tibetan Buddhists would probably call it 'wind sickness'.

It doesn't sound like you need to be worried. If you don't follow the impulse to meditate your energies will try to restore their natural paths, and there may be some discomfort in the adjustment, but it will pass.

Kerome, how long have you been doing meditation for?
I first started to meditate when I was about 12, but it hasn't been regular or always the same kind of meditation. I had some long breaks. I've been doing mostly mindfulness for the last few years.

chesterking

chesterking

I've been doing mostly mindfulness for the last few years.
How come you haven't become enlightened already? I thought it would only take about two years to get enlightened?

chesterking

chesterking

It sounds like you've been doing something unusual to your body energy. It's a bit hard to say exactly what, it may be some form of interaction of the meditation and your mental health. Tibetan Buddhists would probably call it 'wind sickness'.

It doesn't sound like you need to be worried. If you don't follow the impulse to meditate your energies will try to restore their natural paths, and there may be some discomfort in the adjustment, but it will pass.
Kerome, your joking right? :LOL:

Kerome

Kerome

Lol, no, I was serious, a lot of deep meditation can do some weird things to the mind and body, and this 'uncalm feeling' does sound like it's not entirely normal. Certainly not if it has been persisting for so many months. But its a stretch for me to give you any kind of opinion on this. It's only my thoughts, you shouldn't take it as gospel. As the Buddha said, test the teaching and determine its truth for yourself.

But I never was a truly hardcore meditator, I think the most I've done in one sitting in my life is an hour, and lots of people, doctors and fellow meditators alike told me to take it very easy after my psychosis. I've been happily following their advice.

As to not being enlightened, well enlightenment has different stages and forms, and happens to different people at different rates. It's not something I am worried about, if it happens great, but I am happy to just follow my truth and discover new things.

chesterking

chesterking

Lol, no, I was serious, a lot of deep meditation can do some weird things to the mind and body, and this 'uncalm feeling' does sound like it's not entirely normal. Certainly not if it has been persisting for so many months.
The meditation teacher, Jim Malloy, said this was pretty normal and some have these uncalm feelings for days, some weeks, and others months. And some don't even have them at all and just get enlightened.

Kerome

Kerome

I've heard of turmoil before when doing meditation, even some cases where people have visions and extreme emotional turbulence, but a very unpleasant, painful feeling in the stomach area sounds like a body energy issue, especially if it temporarily goes away after a meditation where you combine an expression of ego, I AM, with the breath. I'm not sure if the words 'uncalm feeling' entirely do justice to what you described. You could discuss that with Jim.

It could very well be something personal to you, caused by the uniqueness of your mind and medication. Perhaps you could choose other meditations and see whether the same feeling returns when you do them, or whether you are happier with them?

D

Deliah

Hello, my own experience is that I became a tad obsessive about attaining this state called enlightenment. I was unaccepting of where I sat because I was always desiring the state of enlightenment. When I had those really beautiful and at peace times I was grasping to keep them. On several occasions I have believed myself to be enlightened, but then jumped straight back into thinking how great I was. I now realise that we have to accept our experience in the now, whatever it is and I feel a lot better than I did when I was striving for another state, which ironically can't be come to in that way anyway. I remember thinking one day that there is no gold throne. It doesn't exist. All the while we are trying to gain something we will suffer. Most of us won't come to enlightenment in this life time, but we will have the moments. What I have learnt recently is that we have existed many times in different bodies, in past lives and so we will have many more lives following this one. There no rush. We will all become enlightened one day. This is my current view and it has help me to let go of the need to become enlightened. We are on a continuum. I hope this helps in some way. I wish you well. Can you accept the feeling instead of wanting to be rid of it. Everything is impermanent, that is the nature of all things. love to you D x

D

Deliah

Body scanning is good for mindful acceptance of pain and feelings D x

Kerome

Kerome

One of the things that both Buddha and Osho used to say is that the desire to become enlightened eventually becomes a barrier to achieving the state. It's a desire you have to let go of before you can proceed, which is easier said than done for many spiritual seekers. The Buddhists might say that the desire for enlightenment is a form of grasping or greed, one of the Three Poisons that bind you to the wheel of samsara.