• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Ignoring triggering work emails/announcements

J

jdb

Been dealing with OCD all my life, and one reoccurring theme are trans feelings (again, since a kid). I honestly don’t know whether I’m truly “trans” or if it’s just an obsession of mine. A month ago I would have said 100% trans but upon reviewing literature I’m questioning my motives. Going to a psychologist later this month for the first time. I’m afraid of going to a gender clinic as they “only deal with gender dysphoria and don’t look at other causes” per an email I had with them.

Anyhow, my biggest problem right now is work. I LOVE my job. I also think my boss is OCD which sort of helps with my perfectionist tendencies (understatement of the year). But, there has been a huge diversity equity and inclusion push which means about once a week I get emails about some talk, or an awareness campaign, or whatever about LGBT issues, and as of late they’ve been about trans issues. Plus political sites are full of trans stories. And each time I get one of these messages it chips away at my soul, or read an article (and the ensuing comments) they just set me down a path of negativity and self hate (I’ll leave it at that).

I’ll be bringing these issues up with my psychologist if they work out, but in the interim how do I cope? I spent the past week of break doing things I like - sewed two projects, been reading voraciously, but I can’t stop myself from visiting political sites which inevitably have trans articles. And I cannot escape the diversity stuff at work. I think I can stop reading the news for a few weeks.

Poppy2014

Poppy2014

Hi
There is a way in your emails that you can send emails from specific people (you'll always find these type of emails come from the same address) or emails containing specific words into a separate box (bit like a spam box). Then you just delete the box without looking...Yes you will see the number of emails going into the box but you don't have to read them.
We had a session about managing your inbox, of all the training sessions the university have put on for staff, this was the most useful one I've ever attended.

J

jdb

Hi
There is a way in your emails that you can send emails from specific people (you'll always find these type of emails come from the same address) or emails containing specific words into a separate box (bit like a spam box). Then you just delete the box without looking...Yes you will see the number of emails going into the box but you don't have to read them.
We had a session about managing your inbox, of all the training sessions the university have put on for staff, this was the most useful one I've ever attended.
Yeah, not sure why I didn’t think of setting up a filter - thanks. I’ll do that today, always a bit worried I’ll miss an important email, but I’m pretty sure they all come from the same committee mailing address.

J

jdb

Well, turns out the emails don't originate from a group (nor the same person), and don't have a common footer/header to filter properly. If I had been using keywords I'd have missed a few emails (while my work isn't "diversity" related, I run a service which others use, so I have to field random emails sometimes). I'll survive, but ugh. Maybe I should just filter them to a folder and quickly review it once a week?