• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you took an antidepressant, and it lead to mania or a mixed state

H

HisWife

How long did it take?

K

Keesha

How long did it take?
How long did what take?
To lead to a manic state?

I was already in a manic state. I hadn’t slept for 5 nights and I went to my doctor who gave me antidepressants:eek2:

Within a night or two I was completely wired ready to be admitted into hospital but I wasn’t. When I went back to my doctor he told me he made a huge mistake and got me an immediate appointment with a doctor who’ve wife was bipolar so took care of me.

He gave me some lorazepam to calm me down and Epival for my mania. I didn’t have to be hospitalized but it was close.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

this is what my partners doctor was concerned about-they increased his AD but were worried it would lead to mania
i really hope this gets sorted for you ,i hope you keep posting and people will be able to help
i offer my support but i do not know much about this x Lu x

H

HisWife

How long did it take?
How long did what take?
To lead to a manic state?

I was already in a manic state. I hadn’t slept for 5 nights and I went to my doctor who gave me antidepressants:eek2:

Within a night or two I was completely wired ready to be admitted into hospital but I wasn’t. When I went back to my doctor he told me he made a huge mistake and got me an immediate appointment with a doctor who’ve wife was bipolar so took care of me.

He gave me some lorazepam to calm me down and Epival for my mania. I didn’t have to be hospitalized but it was close.
That seems like a terrible doctor.

I'm asking if someone was depressed, and taking other meds, and the doctor added an antidepressant, how long was the period between starting the AD, and having symptoms of mania or mixed?

K

Keesha

I'm asking if someone was depressed, and taking other meds, and the doctor added an antidepressant, how long was the period between starting the AD, and having symptoms of mania or mixed?
Actually I had incredible respect for him. Most doctors wouldn’t admit they made a mistake and most doctors wouldn’t recommend another doctor who works nearby.

He was very apologetic where he could have lied , making it all my fault. He didn’t. He was genuinely concerned.
For that I’m thankful. It was one of the few times I talked with a doctor as a true human being, one on one.

I hope you find your answer.

K

Keesha

And for the record, I WAS depressed . Very depressed , but went manic

Mom_To_Two_Too

Mom_To_Two_Too

I don't have bipolar but Prozac caused hypomania in me. I was on it for anxiety and taking 20mg a day. The mania started after a month. In the past I have taken SSRIs and benzos which both caused hypomania, especially Klonopin.

floatin

floatin

How long did it take?
Took no time at all, within two days of being prescribed them I went nuts and was just in constant mania. Ended up ruining my relationship with my gf and her parents, my own parents, and had the police called on me while I walked home. No one considers how damaging these meds can be, how much they can change things and how fast.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Oh no. He's not showing signs of it already is he?

H

HisWife

Oh no. He's not showing signs of it already is he?
No, he's still very very depressed, maybe a little more energy and communication?

My concern is the other way, I'm worried they'll get him "stabilized" on this med, and then send him home, and then he'll crash when he gets here.

Wishbone

Wishbone

It could happen but they can only do so much and their aim will be to do exactly that, get him stabilised until he's well enough to go home. From then on it's out of their hands and into his doctors and his own hands and all that are/can be there to support him. Not an easy situation as it's such a fine balancing act. Is he still on the Olanzapine?

P

PWalsh

Fluoxitine sent to into the worst mixed state within 24 hours. Never again. I'm on 50mg Sertraline and it's going OK.