If you had bipolar but you were un-diagnosed, how would antidepressants affect you?

S

spacingspaces

As the title says, if you went on antidepressants as an undiagnosed bipolar how would they affect you?

megirl

megirl

When I first saw a psychiatrist she started me on venlafaxine suspecting I had bipolar and if so the venlafaxine clearly wouldn't be enough to stabilise my mood, it would elevate any manic symptoms so after 2 weeks my mood was further elavated

S

spacingspaces

When I first saw a psychiatrist she started me on venlafaxine suspecting I had bipolar and if so the venlafaxine clearly wouldn't be enough to stabilise my mood, it would elevate any manic symptoms so after 2 weeks my mood was further elavated
Can you go into more details? I suspect i could have bipolar as a counsellor i saw twice hinted that he thinks i have it and that i should go get a psychiatric evaluation. I ended up not going for the psyche eval and just went on antidepressants for my anxiety (which i was diagnosed with) and things were working out well and i was feeling really good and stable until like a week and a half ago when i crashed and feel depressed and have all the physical symptoms of anxiety and depression again like fatigue, edema in my face, skin issues, sinus issues.. etc. I'm going back to my doctor tomorrow to see what she can do to help me but i'm wondering if my up and down reactions to antidepressants could be a sign of bipolar?

Topcat

Topcat

I was diagnosed bipolar, I was on antidepressants for 3-4 months at a time before I stopped them and had hypomania/mania symptoms. Then I'd crash and end up back on them again. Even after I swore off antidepressants I had the same pattern of depression - hypomania, up and down constantly for years. Now I seem to be able to take antidepressants but they may as well be smarties for all the good they do. I'm now diagnosed recurrent depression + anxiety, as I stopped getting hypomanic symptoms a couple of ago.
To be honest I think everyone reacts differently. If you are prone to mania I think taking antidepressants can make you go high within a short space of time. But bipolar has become such an umbrella term for lots of symptoms that maybe aren't classic manic depression it's hard to tell.

S

spacingspaces

I was diagnosed bipolar, I was on antidepressants for 3-4 months at a time before I stopped them and had hypomania/mania symptoms. Then I'd crash and end up back on them again. Even after I swore off antidepressants I had the same pattern of depression - hypomania, up and down constantly for years. Now I seem to be able to take antidepressants but they may as well be smarties for all the good they do. I'm now diagnosed recurrent depression + anxiety, as I stopped getting hypomanic symptoms a couple of ago.
To be honest I think everyone reacts differently. If you are prone to mania I think taking antidepressants can make you go high within a short space of time. But bipolar has become such an umbrella term for lots of symptoms that maybe aren't classic manic depression it's hard to tell.
Yeah it really is an umbrella term for lots of symptoms. I'm scared to get an eval in case i get mis diagnosed.

N

nightmare57

The psychiatrists I've had over the years have never proscribed me antidepressants even when I have desperately asked for them - They say antidepressants will make me very manic very quickly. When I have severe depression they restart my mood stabilisers to go with the antipsychotic I'm on.

K

Kelly B

Be really careful using antidepressants if you suspect bipolar. I have late onset bipolar disorder (47 years old) triggered by the antidepressant citalopram. My understanding is that the bipolar most likely would have remained dormant if I hadn’t done that.

megirl

megirl

That's interesting I was on paroxetine for depression first by my gp.
But my anxiety was sky rocketing so he put me on citalopram which has a bit more of an affect on anxiety but no it just made me worse.
Then finally I decided to get psychiatric help and they worked out pretty quick that I had bipolar

megirl

megirl

That's interesting I was on paroxetine for depression first by my gp.
But my anxiety was sky rocketing so he put me on citalopram which has a bit more of an affect on anxiety but no it just made me worse.
Then finally I decided to get psychiatric help and they worked out pretty quick that I had bipolar

megirl

megirl

KellyB I often wondered that would I ever got as unwell as I did if I hadnt been put on citalopram?

K

Kelly B

It’s very possible. Before citalopram I was on lorazepam which was working like a charm. The insurance company (hate them) decided I needed to switch to citalopram. (They like to play doctor). Next thing I know I’m swinging from the rafters and having a full blown manic episode. I had no idea what was happening. I just knew I felt like a million bucks so I didn’t really care why it was happening. Of course I’m running all over the place embarrassing myself. Bad bad bad drug.

megirl

megirl

We're so lucky in NZ our public healthcare is free,
Our medications get subsidised by the government so for a months supply we would probably pay $5 per prescription.

K

Kelly B

Right now my medications are about the same cost as yours because my husbands job comes with decent health benefits . That’s about to change. He’s one of the workers who is losing his job at general motors. I don’t know if you heard about that on the news ... there was a big stink about it. Soooo we’re going to have to see what happens next. He will be laid off which means less money coming in. Hence me getting a job. The insurance will change to something not nearly as good so god only knows how much my meds are going to cost when that happens. One of my biggest fears is not being able to afford them. I’ve heard stories...

megirl

megirl

Yes I have heard about the job losses at general motors that's terrible,
Fingers crossed medication wise.

K

Kelly B

Yes I have heard about the job losses at general motors that's terrible,
Fingers crossed medication wise.
Thanks! My psychiatrist said that I should be okay with lamotragine as far as affordability but who knows. The latuda is a different story, but he said he’d keep me going with the sample packs. He’s a gem.

megirl

megirl

I'm on lamotrigine myself.
The only drug that got me depression free. It was like someone had flicked a switch.