• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

If it's all genetics and chemical-imbalance, can we do anything about it?

D

dewey

Schopenauer is actually using a lot of Buddhism in Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung. It‘s got dark sides but I believe it is less darker than most people think because they reduce him as the philosopher of pessimism. Schopenauer was the first Western philosophe to include Eastern philosophy.
Like Schopenauer, Nietzsche is discussing the problem of will but is defending it totally differently (Wille zur Macht). Will is for Nietzsche a good thing, something we shouldn’t ignore But rather stimulate in a pure form. Schopenauer wants to ignore will because it‘s the root of all human suffering. In buddhism the will is a problem too, it leads to craving and clinging, which cause dukkha (= ill-being, unsatisfactoriness, suffering).
Ah okay, that's really interesting.

For me the will isn't too much of a problem, since I appear to have no will at all. No will to do anything.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
what did my philosophy lecturer say the statement this student is lazy assumes the words student and lazy

V

ViR

The chemical imbalance theory has never been proved. Genetics play some role. I think the biggest thing in most illness is what happens to a person, from early years and later on. The sort of parenting you had and the type of home you grew up in, appear to be major factors. Trauma may be the most important.
I agree but heredity has lot to do with chemical imbalances if you look into family history you may not even be told about it from your family they usually try to hide it in relatives with similar issues.

V

ViR

personally i would put even less faith in the therapists having the answers though just like big pharma they're out to maximise profits
Not always I wouldn’t be here if I never sought help and took meds there are doctors out there that do their research to know what actually does help but there is know denying that Big Pharma is out for profits. We know some meds help you for pain infections etc so you can’t really over generalize about meds. Mho.

D

dewey

@dewey Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets by Marsha Linehan.

I think the original DBT book that I used was by Marsh Linehan

I will keep looking at the one that I have, but will probably end up getting the one by Linehan.

Best wishes 💗
I ordered that Skills Handouts Worksheets, the Marshall Linehan book. I've had a look at it and so far I don't know how I'm going to break things down and work on them.
Any tips for how you worked through the book?
Ty

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I ordered that Skills Handouts Worksheets, the Marshall Linehan book. I've had a look at it and so far I don't know how I'm going to break things down and work on them.
Ty
I'm sorry, Dewey.
I didn't get through my DBT book this time around. Haven't reordered the one by Linehan. When I did it previously, I had a therapist working with me. Maybe that support made the difference for me previously.

MollyBloom

MollyBloom

Ty
Doing DBT alone seems to me difficult. I think following a DBT program is important in order to he successful, which entails weekly group sessions and weekly one to one sessions to discuss your diary cards for 13 months. DBT is also set up this way, not as an individual therapy.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Not always I wouldn’t be here if I never sought help and took meds there are doctors out there that do their research to know what actually does help but there is know denying that Big Pharma is out for profits. We know some meds help you for pain infections etc so you can’t really over generalize about meds. Mho.
you need a lot of money for therapy, 50 pounds or more an hour while my drugs cost less than 50 a week and i doubt therapy once a week would cure me or be an alternative to drugs

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

@dewey
The book that I ordered presently is "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook" by McKay, Wood and Brantley. I haven't started chapter 2 and I have had it for over a month now, because I am having a difficult time getting through it. The one that you ordered looks more similar to the one that I used in 2004/2005 and it gave me a lot of success. I was in therapy and had the guidance of my therapist. It's been a long time. I thought it would help to do it again, but I am not currently in therapy. I hope that it can provide you some support, but if it doesn't I am very sorry. At the time of my recommendation, I was feeling very hopeful about using it.

I do have a few take aways from my book:

I focus on relaxation techniques as well as techniques to get me through more intense emotions. I have made lists for myself for my relaxation techniques and my distraction plan away from overwhelming feelings.

I want to continue with DBT, but I need help. I lost my therapist because she moved groups and my insurance hasn't approved her yet. I am waiting.

I will try to read my DBT book for 15 minutes a day and take from it what I can for now.

Do you have a therapist?

D

dewey

@dewey
The book that I ordered presently is "The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook" by McKay, Wood and Brantley. I haven't started chapter 2 and I have had it for over a month now, because I am having a difficult time getting through it. The one that you ordered looks more similar to the one that I used in 2004/2005 and it gave me a lot of success. I was in therapy and had the guidance of my therapist. It's been a long time. I thought it would help to do it again, but I am not currently in therapy. I hope that it can provide you some support, but if it doesn't I am very sorry. At the time of my recommendation, I was feeling very hopeful about using it.

I do have a few take aways from my book:

I focus on relaxation techniques as well as techniques to get me through more intense emotions. I have made lists for myself for my relaxation techniques and my distraction plan away from overwhelming feelings.

I want to continue with DBT, but I need help. I lost my therapist because she moved groups and my insurance hasn't approved her yet. I am waiting.

I will try to read my DBT book for 15 minutes a day and take from it what I can for now.

Do you have a therapist?
Ah, I see.

No personal one-to-one therapist atm. I only do a group therapy but it is more risk-management, no focus on DBT skills sadly :(

D

dewey

you need a lot of money for therapy, 50 pounds or more an hour while my drugs cost less than 50 a week and i doubt therapy once a week would cure me or be an alternative to drugs
I'm sorry that therapy is so expensive where you are, it should be a human right. It is also hard to come by where I am so I relate. The way we are recommended is to pay for it, because the free provision is basically impossible to get.

If you have borderline, drugs alone are unlikely to address the root issues as obviously it's very much a disorder of personality, how you feel about yourself and relate to others, how you cope with distress et cetera.
The only real way out of that could be some serious self-improvement, or tackling those issues with therapy with DBT. Drugs may have an effect on one's mood but the real issues go deeper

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
my drugs are cheaper than therapy that some say doesn't work for my diagnosis, it'd definately cost a fortune, i don't know whats happened to mind councillers usually students getting free training, the first one i saw i said, this is doing you more good than me, he said, you and all your friends are all losers, not sure how that was therepeutic, i stopped going according to the bumpf your suppposed to go through disengagement sessions i never heard anything back

i have no wish for therapy basically providing free training for people, the very same people who when they qualify will turn people like me away, now with the disability discrimination act it's more difficult for them to do that

there are in the real world limited resources, when my dad was dying on that hospital ward with all those nurses milling around i saw a programme about the nhs were this inner city gp said rather than expensive interventions that give people a couple of years she'd tackle poverty

D

dewey

my drugs are cheaper than therapy that some say doesn't work for my diagnosis, it'd definately cost a fortune, i don't know whats happened to mind councillers usually students getting free training, the first one i saw i said, this is doing you more good than me, he said, you and all your friends are all losers, not sure how that was therepeutic, i stopped going according to the bumpf your suppposed to go through disengagement sessions i never heard anything back

i have no wish for therapy basically providing free training for people, the very same people who when they qualify will turn people like me away, now with the disability discrimination act it's more difficult for them to do that

there are in the real world limited resources, when my dad was dying on that hospital ward with all those nurses milling around i saw a programme about the nhs were this inner city gp said rather than expensive interventions that give people a couple of years she'd tackle poverty
Sorry you had that negative experience at Mind. I would go and see your doctor to get them to refer you for therapy as they should *definitely* do that. There's some good group therapy for example on the NHS in London. Definitely speak to your doctor about it

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Sorry you had that negative experience at Mind. I would go and see your doctor to get them to refer you for therapy as they should *definitely* do that. There's some good group therapy for example on the NHS in London. Definitely speak to your doctor about it
at one point i was referrred for therapy "his ambivalence about getting better makes it impossible to fiind a focus for therapy" i'm ambivalent about the nhs on med better because it isn't a fit for work better leaving me on benefits "he makes comments like what will they (those who administer the benefit system) make of it if i get better"

At one point he was deemed to have recovered the result of which was the benefits and support stopped but on attempting to work the illness recurred

who told you theres good group therapy on the nhs in london i've never seen it, your not referring to the alcoholic anonymous type groups are you

D

dewey

at one point i was referrred for therapy "his ambivalence about getting better makes it impossible to fiind a focus for therapy" i'm ambivalent about the nhs on med better because it isn't a fit for work better leaving me on benefits "he makes comments like what will they (those who administer the benefit system) make of it if i get better"

At one point he was deemed to have recovered the result of which was the benefits and support stopped but on attempting to work the illness recurred

who told you theres good group therapy on the nhs in london i've never seen it, your not referring to the alcoholic anonymous type groups are you
There's definitely group therapy for personality disorders, not Alcoholics Anonymous.
Ask your GP to refer you for therapy.