• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

If I tell my psychiatrist I feel suicidal and she decides to send me to hospital, will I be restrained during transport?

A

AlexSmoke

If I tell my psychiatrist I feel suicidal and she decides to send me to hospital, will I be restrained during transport?

I have suicidal thoughts and I am afraid to tell my psychiatrist. I am afraid because if she does decide to send me to the hospital, I heard that I will be handcuffed by a cop or have my hands and feet tied to the gurney if it's an ambulance during transportation, even if I don't fight and I accept to go voluntarily.

Is this true? I am afraid to tell her in case of this.

C

Carrieann07

I have never heard of that and I have been twice. Not sure of other experience, but mine was really nice actually. I mean, as nice as being in a hospital can be I guess. If you are suicidal you should get help asap.

Carrie

pepecat

pepecat

If you agree that you need to go to hospital then it's highly unlikely you'll be handcuffed and restrained, I would have thought. That's only when people are seriously delusional and fighting all the way.
Is she likely to send you to hospital for suicidal thoughts? If that happened here (am guessing you're in the usa because of the word gurney) then half of us on the forum would be in hospital most of the time! It's when people start acting on their thoughts that it gets tricky, but for thoughts alone, I doubt she'll send you to hospital.

U

UMPALUMPA

Hi Alex, dont be afraid to tell your psychiatrist how you feel. :hug:

Sometimes people may have suicidle feelings that sit in the back of our minds, although these horrid feelings we might not have any intentions to actually commit suicide or attempt it.

BUT if you genuinely feel you might act on feeling suicidle then I would say its best to tell someone, You would not be hancuffed or mistreated at all, if your psychiatrist recomended you came into hospital for a short while and you agreed then thats all good and always the best option.

Even if they section you at home or in a public place they dont use cuffs unless your combatent or a risk to yourself or others.

Take good care and try not to worry about that sort of thing happening :hug1:

C

cally75

Hi Alex.
Think u been watching too many films lol!

But seriously. I've been admitted to local psych unit once & there was no drama. They never sent ambulance. They paid for taxi to get me there. The staff were fantastic & I got on well with other patients as all were in same boat. The violent patients are kept in other unit so don't worry about that.

Three hot meals a day. There's a lot of rumours about psych units but in my case, it was all positive

A

AlexSmoke

Hi Alex.
Think u been watching too many films lol!

But seriously. I've been admitted to local psych unit once & there was no drama. They never sent ambulance. They paid for taxi to get me there. The staff were fantastic & I got on well with other patients as all were in same boat. The violent patients are kept in other unit so don't worry about that.

Three hot meals a day. There's a lot of rumours about psych units but in my case, it was all positive
May I ask why have you been sent to the psych ward? Suicide feelings may be different

G

Gredge23

Ur psych may not even send you I always have suicidal tendencies , and end up in a and e and my psych is notified she says just send me home , and only 3 weeks ago I tried to take my life and was sent home the ne t day I didn't even go into psych ward.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi Alex,
I beg of you to tell your pyschatrist your feelings- as many others have said, it's unlikely that they will put you in hospital straight away or at all. I'm in the uk and was just detained under the mental health act 136 yesterday. I refused to get in the police car, they were lovely and talked me round - no handcuffs or forcefulness at all x

confusedwanderwaffle

confusedwanderwaffle

I went to a psychiatrist couple months ago and they had reports that I overdosed twice in two weeks and been to hospital both occurrences: when i got sent there, there was three police officers and two paramedics with me...

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

I'm in the US and at least here they WILL handcuff you if you are titled to go to the hospital. Or to go to court to fight the title. It sucks so much. there are two hospitals in my county but only one has a psych unit. If you are sent to the psych unit they will handcuff you and send you with at least two police officers to there.