• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

If I Don't Believe I'll Ever Be Happy, Does That Guarantee I Won't?

L

LokiPokey75

I realized today the difference between wants and beliefs. Up until today, they were inextricable. I started to see that I was afraid to not believe because I thought that meant I could never be happy. In other words, my happiness was dependent on my belief.

Everybody is always telling you to believe. But what if I don't? Is my life over? Will nothing good ever happen to me again?

P

Pollypop

You have made a good point.
I don’t believe there will be happiness in my life.
Maybe it is a self fulfilling prophesy.

I really don’t know the answer.
Maybe beliefs can be proved wrong.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

I realized today the difference between wants and beliefs. Up until today, they were inextricable. I started to see that I was afraid to not believe because I thought that meant I could never be happy. In other words, my happiness was dependent on my belief.

Everybody is always telling you to believe. But what if I don't? Is my life over? Will nothing good ever happen to me again?
Forget belief and any other shit your told. You need to find your happiness. Just you. Nobody else. There is something in this world that makes you smile. Go find it. Then do your own thing

T

treasurebox

To believe is to be certain of things you are hoping for. So if you believe you that you will be happy, then you will be happy. Happiness is a choice, choose to be happy. Do things that make you happy. Listen to good and uplifting songs on youtube.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Do some waky stuff. Get in bother. Annoy some people. Break some rules. Get in the middle of chaos. Live and treasure your life. You only get one go at it

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

Hi Loki

life flies by so fast, its truly scary.
you have the right to happiness , dont let others hold you back, your young and life should be an open door for you,

please go for it and enjoy yourself , your a worthwhile person
:hug:

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

I concur with pollypop. You create your own reality. In psychology its called the Self fufilling prophecy. It you keep yourself in negative mindset and have negative thoughts, you're likely to stay in a negative place. As opposed to a person who tries to think positively and have positive beliefs, it is far more likely that positive things will happen to you then the other person.

Ive seen it time and time again in my life.

P

Pollypop

Im trying to change my “glass half empty” to “glass half full” attitude.
The self fulfilling prophesy. 🙂

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

The glass is neither full or empty. Thatts a philosophic idea. Make friends on here and smash the glass

bpd2020

bpd2020

I think we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be happy. Happiness means different things to people. I try to find joy in the little things. A good book or a bubble bath. I no longer look to feel happy as having bpd I do not believe that is realistic.

L

LokiPokey75

Good luck to you Pollypop! Thanks for your responses. It's hard for me to believe I'll find happiness too. I hope you find what you're looking for.

L

LokiPokey75

The glass is neither full or empty. Thatts a philosophic idea. Make friends on here and smash the glass
All great advice, GhostOfLenin! I wish I could be that ballsy. I've always played by the rules in life, hoping I would be rewarded for my obedience. But that hasn't worked out so well. I need to figure out how to break the rules and how far so that I don't become worse off than I already am.

Because if this is the only go I've got, I hope I'm gone soon.

L

LokiPokey75

To believe is to be certain of things you are hoping for. So if you believe you that you will be happy, then you will be happy. Happiness is a choice, choose to be happy. Do things that make you happy. Listen to good and uplifting songs on youtube.
Thank you treasurebox! Right now the belief is hard to come by. I think believing has led to expecting and that has hurt me quite a bit. The two just became linked I guess. Besides, much of life is out of my control anyways. I just try to be thankful I'm not homeless and appreciate anything better than that.

I've always lived in survival mode, with lots of financial uncertainty, so it's hard to want to believe there will be better when I'm trying not to lose the little I have.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Loki

life flies by so fast, its truly scary.
you have the right to happiness , dont let others hold you back, your young and life should be an open door for you,

please go for it and enjoy yourself , your a worthwhile person
:hug:
Hillman, you always have the sweetest responses. Thank you for all your encouragement! I just wish I knew what enjoying life means at this point. I don't have the money or the connections to make a worthwhile life for myself, nor the belief I will ever obtain either. I'm just trying to make it through the day.

But I appreciate your kind words. They're always nice to hear.