• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

IDS's 'fit for work' projections in tatters

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Sickness benefits claimants were not 'faking it'

Figures released today by the Department of Works & Pensions reveal that 93% of long term sick claimants have qualified for Employment & Support Allowance following stricter 'Work Capability Assessments'. 81% have qualified for intensive support on the grounds of severe health problems. The latest figures make a complete mockery of earlier claims made by the right wing media that the assessments showed 75% of incapacity claimants were 'fit for work' and 'weeding out the work-shy'.

The latest figures from the DWP publishing 'scores' for Work Capability Assessments carried out between January and March 2014 show that 93% of longer term incapacity benefit claimants qualified for Employment & Support Allowance with just 6% being found 'fit for work' - a large number of whom will appeal.

Similarly figures for the same group of claimants show that in preceding quarter from October 2013 to December 2013, 90% of claimants qualified.

The figures for what are designated 'new' Employment & Support Allowance claimants show that (for the same quarter up to March 2014, large percentages of claimants are qualifying with 77% qualifying under the strict assessment regime. The new claim group is one where large numbers of claimants appeal a fit for work decision, the 23% found fit for work is likely to fall even further when the results of appealed decisions are made public.

Claimants from either the new claim or ex-incapacity cohort who find themselves 're-assessed', qualified at a rate of 93% over the most recent quarterly figures.

Not all the results are in

It comes as no surprise that the DWP are still chronically behind the times when it comes to providing the real results. None of the figures produced by the DWP can depict the true number found fit for work because they drag their heels when it comes to updating the number of decisions overturned by independent appeals and after internal 'reconsiderations' carried out by the DWP.

The latest figures show no real attempt has been made to provide the correct figures for results 'after appeal'. The figures show that from October 2008 to September 2013 only 156,600 fit for work decisions have been overturned in the claimant's favour by an independent tribunal. The figure is known to be far higher with around 40% of over 1.1 million Employment & Support Allowance appeals being overturned in favour of the claimant by the tribunal - a figure of at least 440,000.

The DWP remain as elusive as ever with no sign of them being anywhere near publishing much awaited 'reconsideration' figures, figures which they promised would be available by the end of this year. The reconsiderations overturns will add considerably to the appeals overturned by tribunals; - notably the DWP appear to be rather shy at telling anyone!

IDS owes the sick and disabled an apology

Iain Duncan Smith has never wasted an opportunity in trying to vilify those claiming incapacity benefits as 'workshy, he never wastes an opportunity in getting his right wing tabloid friends to print the worst possible headlines, he has continually claimed to be getting people 'parked' on sickness benefits 'off the sick and into work', but the reality is that the IDS driven DWP is failing miserably when it comes to 'helping' those on incapacity benefits.

IDS should be made to publicly apologise for the disgraceful manner in which he has ensured that only the worst possible figures were misrepresented to the public, the real results are what we are now starting to see.

The fact is that despite using a test as strict as the Work Capability Assessment, the vast majority of claimants are now qualifying for their benefits. IDS's claims to be helping people back in to work are a complete sham, he need only look in his own constituency of Chingford & Woodford Green to see how many people from the long term sick have ended up with a job after his relentless programme of cruel tests - it is shameful that the media gives no attention to the real results; if IDS was properly exposed he should be forced to resign.

IDS fit for work 'projections' in tatters..... | ilegal

E

english rose

They obviously think that I'm a work-shy faker, trying to convince them otherwise is making me worse, I'll take a f***ing polygraph thing if they want!

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Same here. I aspire to be fit for work and am working towards it. I'm sick to death of being unemployed. It worsens my agitation at times

I wish people could have a sample of what it's like to be mentally suffering day after day

Even still id rather be in work

I dont think they will persecute the mentally suffering

There is a strong humanist/christian core in conservative movement. So say more emphasis on chairity and perhaps foodvouchers which isbasically privatising benefits

I think Every one will be okay try not to worry

But whoever get in its going to get tougher for a while

T

TheRedStar

I sincerely hope that the feeble mind (what there is of it...) of this Goebbels' mini-me dickhead finally implodes under the sheer weight of cognitive dissonance that it must surely be straining under by now, as a result of believing he's a good Christian but consistently acting like a two-bit Nazi wannabe. If anybody deserves to end up with a severe mental illness then it's him... the sad thing is that, if this actually happened, we wouldn't get to enjoy the delicious irony of him having to seek help from the same welfare state that his party is busily trying to dismantle, and as part of that have to undertake a WCA (how fu*king enjoyable would that be...?), as no doubt the gold-digging sh*t's rich in-laws would subsidise him to not have to take the 'self-responsibility' that is apparently so good for the rest of us. Even as things stand, with him (apparently...) being sane and (apparently...) earning a wage, I understand that thanks to them he doesn't have to pay rent or a mortgage like us peasantry.

If anything proves the media bias in this country, it's how a cabinet minister can repeatedly get caught out lying about his own department's statistics, and - astonishingly - cite his personal belief as 'evidence' for an assertion that 8,000 people - all of them - moved into work as a consequence of the benefit cap, but somehow he barely comes under any kind of front page or top of the hour scrutiny. If any New Labour minister had behaved similarly, he or she would have been hounded by the majority of media until they'd either resigned, or Blair/Brown had shuffled them out.

I noted the other day that IDS was once again pontificating about the 'esteem' and 'security' of work. Well, we all have our own personal beliefs about just how much 'esteem' anyone can really glean from most of the low-quality jobs available to welfare claimants, so I'll say no more about that, but security?! If the pious prick genuinely believes that, then he really is every bit as out of touch with the real world as I'd feared... doesn't this balding, beady-eyed see-you-next-Tuesday know about how people are being forced to take zero-hour and/or temporary contract jobs, in lieu of sufficient permanent, fixed hours employment being available?!

This nasty, evil little fu*ker has the blood of a five-figure amount of people on his hands; when Owen Jones went on Question Time and brought up the concept of welfare reform driving people to suicide, all IDS could do was bullishly say that he was bringing the benefits bill down. One self-murder at a time, apparently...

Slightly off-topic, but still related to the general concept of benefits, did anyone else hear about David Cameron's lovely little piece of emotional blackmail to the nation several days ago? It was something about how cutting another £12bn off of the welfare bill 'could' save the NHS... as though there's some intrinsic reason why we have to choose between one or the other? How about option 3 - a well-overdue crackdown on tax evasion by big corporations and billionaires?

And all Labour would do differently is slightly slow the pace of it all... fu*k Westminster - the only people any of them offer support to are those who don't need any help whatsoever. It is sick that a supposedly civilised country is making countless thousands of people suffer just so that a few millionaires can become billionaires, and even sicker how these people and the media they own are churning out endless twisted logic about how this is somehow 'right' and 'fair'.

Nothing will change for the better until the national discourse stops being dominated by this Ayn Rand crap. It's utterly amazing how an unhinged (her ravings were clearly influenced by bitterness about her early life in Russia) hypocrite (she claimed social security and medicare while she was alive) who made Tolkien seem positively concise could become so influential... really, that she did doesn't say much for humanity as a species.

Last edited by a moderator:
rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's refreshing to know that there is someone else on here that considers ayn rand's pseudo-philosophy a bag of shite.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Stupid gov. Dont they realise that all these assessments, waiting for results of assessments, panicing about face to face assessments, keeping people waiting for months for results of assessments imo anyway can actually make anxiety,depression,ED, etc worse.The continual fear of worrying about being found fit for work even though you know you are not imo helps to send people over the edge. They need to find a way not based on fear, to help people which I know will never happen so dont know why i even say it

E

english rose

I do not want to work - and no I am not feckless. I barely have the energy to look after myself & my pets & my tiny flat, & talking of pets - I can't bear to be away from my dog, we are joined at the hip, he comforts me, he's in his twilight years now & want to be with him all the time, his death may kill me - I may die of a broken heart.

I know full well that any job I could/would be able to get would be awful - they'd pay me peanuts & treat me like shit, my condition would be worsened. I remember in one of the few short-lived part-time positions that I had last century (I've not worked this century) I was totally humiliated on one occasion, I was working as bar staff in a night club, at the end of the night the DJ came over to me and said I want to thank you for all your hard work, I felt embarrassed as at that time I thought he was being sincere, even though there was a slightly sarcastic tone to his voice & his expression was a bit contemptuous, but when I head the sniggering of colleagues I realised that it was a wind-up & he was taking the piss; I left when the management said they were going to demote me to glass collector. You see I am slow (not stupid), everything I do takes a long time, the incident I told you about happened 20 years ago & I have been gradually deteriorating over the years.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It's refreshing to know that there is someone else on here that considers ayn rand's pseudo-philosophy a bag of shite.
Looked up ayn rands on wikipeaedia got asked for a donation towards costs says it all