• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Idk what's wrong with me?

7failedattempts

7failedattempts

Hey, wanted to see if anyone could relate?

For pretty much my whole life I've struggled with eating and it's never been related to body image. I can be super hungry, yet the thought of eating genuinely makes me sick. If I take a bite of food most times, it feels like my throat closes and I'm going to be sick. I smoke a lot of weed for many reasons, but it helps me kickstart my appetite. I'm not really that picky with my food but there's things I flat out refuse to eat bc it tastes/feels/smells weird to me, like eggs. Or if I make something, I'll make it the same way, same ingredients etc. bc that's how I can eat it, and I have to use separate utensils so it's not "contaminated" yk? Even since I was super young, I really struggled to eat even tiny sandwiches my parents made me for school lunch. I remember not eating (still don't) eat breakfast bc severe anxiety in my early teens killed my appetite and metabolism, but I'd like to be able to fuel my body and actually enjoy good rather than treat it like a tactical mission :\

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
Is it an appetite problem mostly? Due to texture and smell?

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
7 attempts, I'm so sorry

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
@7failedattempts What about soups and yoghurts? smoothies? These are what i rely on when unwell or cannot eat.

7failedattempts

7failedattempts

@Tawny Yess anything liquid usually helps me out, occasionally I won't even be able to eat that but I have much better luck with that. I might try eating yoghurt more tho, any recs?

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
@7failedattempts I love coconut yoghurt at the moment and sprinkle seeds on top. I usually buy the large pot and then put 3 big tablespoons in to a bowl. I have this most days for pudding. I think it is the Rachels one. Yeo Valley is nice, the raspberry. The Collective is lovely too, very creamy.

Tins of Semolina or Rice pudding are nice. I put some strwberry jam on top.

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide

This link is about children mostly, but there might be something helpful for you here. My friend's daughter only used to eat white food which was very difficult to work around.

Tawny

Tawny

Staff member
Forum Guide
I drink Actimel too but mostly for an upset stomach. Sometimes i cannot manage breakfast because i am too sleepy, and will have this.

I do always have a good healthy meal in the afternoon/evening though. Perhaps you should go to your GP and see if you can be referred to a nutritionist, to make sure you are getting everything you need from your restricted diet. You might be low in certain vitamins or iron, so it is probably a good idea to make an appointment anyway.

7failedattempts

7failedattempts

@Tawny I noted these down, thanks so much! I've actually had some blood tests done (although lord knows when I'll get the results) bc I've got suspected anaemia

7failedattempts

7failedattempts