• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I wrote a letter to my city council

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

I am writing because I believe that this town has done a disservice to many of its most vulnerable citizens, many of whom don’t speak for themselves. The substance abuse crisis in this town is an epidemic, people are dying in the streets, and something needs to be done.

The health care system has failed those suffering mental illness and addiction time and time again. Oct 04 2020 a young man died on a public bench from an overdose less than a week after being released from the {HOSPTAL} for the third time since mid August. Each of his hospitalizations became briefer and briefer, I believe, because the staff passed him off as just an addict. He suffered from mental illness and the healthcare professionals at {HOSPTAL} determined that his addiction was not their responsibility and they offered no support after his release.

This community's approach to the drug crisis and mental health is insufficient, the support to those suffering is lacking. It is unacceptable that someone can reach out for help and be denied because of a lack of resources or general support from our health care professionals. Especially unacceptable for someone to lose their life less than a week after health care professionals determine them fit to be released, with access to no additional resources. I see nothing but more loss if something isn’t done to address this problem.

Z

ZoeZoe

Well done writing a letter to your city council. I can totally relate to the frustration at the injustice and lack of action that is being done about such serious issues. I hope someone sensible and kind takes your letter seriously and changes happen.

Zaz2020

Zaz2020

I think what was once known as the caring profession has now become the caring industry. It's big business nowadays and all about the money. Where I am, the level of care from doctors, nurses, carers, social workers etc. is diabolical. It's getting worse instead of better and a lot of people have a lack of trust or faith in health professionals and won't go near them no matter how bad they feel.
I see medical professionals talk about how they care and respect patients and the patient is their number one priority...but in reality...its often the opposite that's true.

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

My brother left that hospital with a naloxone kit and three crisis telephone numbers to call. It's a joke to call that enough.

bpd2020

bpd2020

That is an excellent letter. I hope it is taken seriously. I admire you for trying to change things.

N

Nukelavee

I do agree that there are serious shortfalls in our country's support for addiction and mental health.

A friend of a friend had a BF OD last weekend, it is an epidemic.

At the same time, when deal with addiction to things like opiates, what exactly can be done? Releasing them to their own control ends badly, yet, honestly, keeping them in hospital doesn't work, either; worse, keeping them in and restricting their access to drugs also raises complaints about them being treated like prisoners.

Opiate addiction is a terrible thing, but... I dunno. You know the chances you take every time you shoot up. You either manage to quit, or, eventually, it will kill you. And nobody can make you decide to truly quit, but yourself.

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

I do agree that there are serious shortfalls in our country's support for addiction and mental health.

A friend of a friend had a BF OD last weekend, it is an epidemic.

At the same time, when deal with addiction to things like opiates, what exactly can be done? Releasing them to their own control ends badly, yet, honestly, keeping them in hospital doesn't work, either; worse, keeping them in and restricting their access to drugs also raises complaints about them being treated like prisoners.

Opiate addiction is a terrible thing, but... I dunno. You know the chances you take every time you shoot up. You either manage to quit, or, eventually, it will kill you. And nobody can make you decide to truly quit, but yourself.
My brother reached out for help and they said they couldn't help him, he was incapable of doing it on his own, he needed more intervention, they did nothing. So he's just supposed to be left to die because there isn't a system in place with his best interest after his release? Bull shit, its an insufficient system, in my town I'm not being dramatic when I say people are dying in the streets every week, mostly young people. The hospital has a special "fast track" program for those suffering drug induced psychosis, but no after care? Who thought that made sense?

N

Nukelavee

I realize it's a failure of society that we can't do much about this.

But what kind of after care should there be? Keeping them locked up until they are clean?

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

But what kind of after care should there be? Keeping them locked up until they are clean?
No... I’m the United States you can enter rehab or programs that make house calls... I’ve done both.

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

I want the hospital to connect addicts directly with addiction services, including rehab BEFORE they are released. And that service to continue AFTER they are released.

I understand many will need more than once, I understand all cant be saved. But we owe it to them to try.

wraziel

wraziel

Is very sad and dissapointing that healt care for mental illness sucks in every part of world. I used to believe that was happened just in my country. They don't give a shit 4 u, just if you got lots of bucks (bullshit, they just want the money than your health).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Borderline Personality Disorder Forum 4