• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

I write to get it all out... Who else writes???

brightndark

brightndark

I write poetry to deal with my issues in life... It helps in the way that I get it out and stop carrying it around inside for it to build up and become worse and worse... When I'm way way down... the words tend to disappear though. It's different from time to time.

Do you write? If so... what do you write and why?

Dreamland

I want to lay myself down on a flowery bed
roses… orange, white, pink, yellow and red
bury my nose in the fragrance of summertime
as I listen to your soft voice whispering words of rhyme
slowly I fall asleep in the arms of pure love
accompanied by birds singing on tree branches up above
Dreamland - come take me for a ride on your rainbow
the dancing deer by the waters running high and low
bathing without a single thread
no fear… nothing to dread
free as the hawk flying high amongst the mighty trees
with its sharp vision everything it sees
you tiny little mouse run fast… even faster!!!
or else this will become your final disaster
still - nature is true – so let it be…!
to survive might not always be to flee
wild horses drinking by the riverside
long manes… their eyes to hide
Thirsty for life - running scared
no boundaries – not to be shared
a herd in its own pace
they all run like the wind into the horizon
nothing to leave behind – to abandon
Dreamland - come back to find me soon again, I beg of you!
to ease my burden… to look beyond what is true

D

Dollit

I don't write poetry, I prefer to read it. I write fiction which is unpublished though one member here has seen some of it. I write because I can't contain the story anymore. Usually in winter as summer is my busy time work wise though that may change soon. I write because I love words, words are very important to me. A look at my iPod shows you that, the diversity of the music is linked by the significance of the lyrics to me.

Occasionally I also write press releases and always try to make them really accessible - if you're going to write anything you should write the best you can.

S

Shadow

That's a very good poem :) full of imagery.

I actually draw and sketch alot of which I was looking for a suitable board to post some in, there isn't one.

A

AlienGirl

I'm 40,000 words into my first novel. I find it great escapism because my characters can say all the things I want to be able to say but couldn't get away with.

Unfortunately, for it to be a story, negative things have to happen to my characters. But I get to make them strong people who can cope with stuff I wouldn't necessarily cope with.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Sounds good Alien Girl! Well done on 40,000 words, that's a real achievement.

Besides from occasional scribbles in my diary / notebook and my blog thingy here the only other thing I have messed around with is Haiku - it's nice and short and has a nice discipline to it which I like - it's great for focussing the mind!

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I'm 40,000 words into my first novel. I find it great escapism because my characters can say all the things I want to be able to say but couldn't get away with.

Unfortunately, for it to be a story, negative things have to happen to my characters. But I get to make them strong people who can cope with stuff I wouldn't necessarily cope with.
Hello and :welcome: to MHF :flowers:
40,000 words well done.

I don't write alot but when i have it has helped .

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
i`m not smart enough to wright anythin good, but i liked to read now and then so know how great wrighting must be.:)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
40,000 words that some going. I keep a journal at the side of my bed and write in it when i cant sleep. But its just my personal thoughts and feelings.

When my girls were little i used to make up stories for them .I kept saying i was going to take it to a publisher but never have. Maybe one of these days!

Aahbut

Aahbut

When my depression was at its worst I scribbled how I felt on bits of paper. Most of it I couldn't read later as my handwriting was just a scrawl. As I improved I could read the bits of paper and scared the hell out of myself. I had written things I did not recall, how I felt etc, that sort of thing. What scared me the most was the almost daily scribble on the best way to kill myself. I am glad now that at the time I felt too ill still to carry any of the ideas out. I stopped reading them and am still in two minds if I should introduce them to the shredder.

D

Dollit

Put them through the shredder. I did that last year after a mood swing similar to the one I've just had. You don't need that reminder around. xx

Aahbut

Aahbut

I think you are right Dollit, best not to have that sort of thing hanging about as a reminder. And heavens knows what someone else might make of it. :eek:

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
I've got a similar thing as I've got all my notebooks from when I was in hospital. Not great reading as they were all about potential methods of sui along with other more general stuff, but they do help me fill in memory gaps that I have due either to the ECT, depression or both.

J

James Buchanan

I kept a notebook during my last depression. I've destroyed it all now, every last page. I'm not keeping one this time, scary stuff.

I love to write! Politics, philosophy, sociology, history I have a real love for. I tend to just write short essays so I can fully understand my own opinions and just to get that sense of acheivment at producing something that I've put a lot of effort into.

D

Dollit

I had a lot of those sort of note books.

I have to write a lot of reports for work but always inject a bit of colour in them!