• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

I worry for a sign!

E

Erudinam

2.5 years ago, I may have made a promise to Gods and asked for a specific punishment that I will not act compulsive with the street signs. I tried to make the promise in order to use the fear of the punishment to force myself stop doing compulsions.

I left the market and the receipt could fall from the bag. Due to an other ocd reason, I did not want to put the receipt deeper in my market bag, so I was walking carefully, maybe a little compulsive. Since I would be passing by a street sign, I worried that it would count as if I am acting compulsive with it because I would be walking in a compulsive way (in order not to make the receipt fall from the bag)

I got worried and ocd started telling me to make sure to put the receipt deeper in my bag (break the other compulsion) in order to be able to walk normally while passing near the street sign. I got worried and MAYBE seriously, thought about putting the receipt deeper in order to make sure that I will not walk compulsive near the street sign and break the hypothetical promise. I think, I stopped but I am not sure if I stopped to put the receipt deeper or stopped to analyze my situtation.

In the end, I realised that it is not wise to put the receipt deeper in order to make sure that I will not act/walk compulsive near the street sign because maybe that would count as if I am acting compulsive with the street sign. So, I decided not to put the receipt deeper.

I worry that maybe for a second, I tried or thought about putting the receipt deeper in the bag before I reach near the sign. I did not do it but I worry that just, by trying or thinking about it, that I may have made the hypothetical promise.

I mean, thinking to put the receipt deeper in order to make sure that I will walk normally and not compulsive while passing near the sign. I worry that this may have made me to act compulsive with the street sign indirectly. Is the hypothetical promise broken? The promise maybe was not to act compulsive with the street signs and maybe I thought about acting compulsive by putting the receipt deeper in my bag while trying not to act compulsive with the streeet sign. The compulsion that I had when I may have made the promise were different than the one with the receipt. Is the promise valid only for those specific compulsion or for everything in general that have to do with compulsion and street signs?

It was so random. I did not know what to do my ocd was like:

ocd: stop! by avoiding putting the receipt in the bag makes you act compulsive, so while you will be passing near the street sign it may count as if you are acting compulsive with it indirectly. No! do not put the receipt in the bag to make sure that you wont act compulsive with the street sign because by doing it it may count as if you are acting compulsive by doing a compulsion to avoid acting compulsive with it.

I did not put the receipt deeper but I worry that maybe I thought about putting it because it was almost, like a reflex because of my worry. is the promise valid for everything that have to do with compulsions and street signs or only valid for those specific compulsions that I used to have when I tried to make the hypothetical promise?

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

God doesn’t work like this. Pretty sure he has more important things to be doing.

S

Started 1976

You are suffering from" Magical Thinking".You must seek help."Magical Thinking" is a" Sympton" of OCD:"Google It."Don't try to solve this on your own. it won't work, i know.I Suffered with Magical Thinking among other OCD Symptons.I Wasted nine years of my life trying to solve things on my own!!Google " Magical Thinking".