• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

I wish there was such a thing as cuddle therapy

valleygirl

valleygirl

Sometimes I feel like the best therapy would be a nice, long cuddle. My counsellor hugged me today, and I didn't want to let go. I wanted to stay there, safe in her arms forever. Sometimes, if it is someone I trust, just feeling the warmth and comfort of their body calms me more than any medication.

pepecat

pepecat

Completely agree with this. It's what I missed out on as a kid, and part of me is still that 4 year old who just wants to be snuggled.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes!! I was never hugged as a child and people contact was horrific for me until very recently..... Now I love cuddles :love:

Kerome

Kerome

I used to be hugged a lot by all kinds of people when I was young, sometimes to the point that I wasn't entirely comfortable with it. But I still like hugs and cuddles, the more the better!

But my therapist, I'm not sure about that. Maybe if she was a woman and a bit cute :LOL:

valleygirl

valleygirl

I wouldn't want to cuddle with just anyone. it would have to be someone I trust and feel comfortable with, and I have that kind of connection with my counsellor. I feel like I just know instinctively when I meet someone whether or not they are safe and the kind of person I could hug, and I knew that about my counsellor right from the beginning. The second time we met, I showed up in tears because I'd had an argument with my mom right before our session, and my counsellor gently and compassionately helped me through that. At the end of the session, when I stood up to leave, I could tell that she wanted to hug me, and I wanted her to hug me, but we didn't hug because we barely knew each other. But if she would have asked if she could hug me, I would have gladly walked straight into her arms. I feel like she loves me, not romantically or in any weird kind of way, just in a way that makes me feel deeply comforted and safe. I don't remember feeling safe in my family, but I feel safe with my counsellor. She doesn't expect me to be a certain way, and whoever I am on any particular day is okay with her.

pepecat

pepecat

There is something very deep about physical contact with someone - and not romantic or sexual physical contact. It feels protective, and secure and like you're cared for.

It's almost a physical feeling when it's missing..... the hole aches.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I wouldn't want to cuddle with just anyone. it would have to be someone I trust and feel comfortable with, and I have that kind of connection with my counsellor. I feel like I just know instinctively when I meet someone whether or not they are safe and the kind of person I could hug, and I knew that about my counsellor right from the beginning. The second time we met, I showed up in tears because I'd had an argument with my mom right before our session, and my counsellor gently and compassionately helped me through that. At the end of the session, when I stood up to leave, I could tell that she wanted to hug me, and I wanted her to hug me, but we didn't hug because we barely knew each other. But if she would have asked if she could hug me, I would have gladly walked straight into her arms. I feel like she loves me, not romantically or in any weird kind of way, just in a way that makes me feel deeply comforted and safe. I don't remember feeling safe in my family, but I feel safe with my counsellor. She doesn't expect me to be a certain way, and whoever I am on any particular day is okay with her.
deeply comforted and safe
gently and compassionately
Those are really positive words.