• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I wish I was more chilled out.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Just would like to smile and laugh more.

It is hard when you are on your own, sometimes easier with good company.

When you are positive, laughter can be found anywhere.

We used to laugh a lot at work, I miss that.

It does depend on the office, but my last job at a hospital - we used to laugh a lot.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
you should watch some more comedies. is you dad no good for a laugh? mine is the best at making me laugh luckily.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

There is a real ale pub near where I used to live (and my son still does) and which has won 'Real Ale Pub of the Year' from CAMRA several times. I go there a lot when I visit and I never fail to strike up conversations with people I've never met before. OK, it's not real friendships but it's fun and it makes me feel good. I think it's such a shame that so many pubs have closed when they used to be the heart of the community, where people of all ages could go without fear and even if they hardly talked to anyone else, at least enjoy the convivial atmosphere.

When I last went there, there was this middle-aged guy from Northern Ireland and he and I started talking about the Irish troubles from the 70s and later and my son knew nothing about it and he was just aghast listening to us and this guy ended up telling my son 'Listen to your mother - she's lived through it, you haven't' and it was just such a magic moment and we all ended up hugging each other before wandering home and you know that's what life should be about -yet it all seems to have been largely lost lately :(

Last edited:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I understand what you mean.
I'm quite serious by nature and it always amazes me when I meet people who approach situations with almost automatically finding a laugh out of it.

I think it also depends on your sense of humour. I've got a very specific kind of sense of humour, to be honest I don't laugh at things most other people find funny.

I suppose being chilled and being light-hearted can be two separate things.
What helps me is to realise that my life, in the best possible way, is pretty insignificant. Situations that seem so serious and depressing are actually not that important at all.. barely even one grain in the sands of time.

Q

quantum1connect

I think we all need to smile and laugh more. Luckily, we don't need anyone to do that. I've been watching comedies and just smiling for no reason. Eventually it'll bleed into character than feeling contrived.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think we all need to smile and laugh more. Luckily, we don't need anyone to do that. I've been watching comedies and just smiling for no reason. Eventually it'll bleed into character than feeling contrived.
Good point.
There have been studies that show that even a fake smile will eventually trick your brain into being happier.
I saw a suggestion of putting a pencil between your teeth.. mind you, I think i'd laugh anyway if I did that because i'd look a complete pillock.:LOL:

S

secretsurvivor1

Pub is the loneliest place when you are alone. No-one talks to me. Unbearable.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Pub is the loneliest place when you are alone. No-one talks to me. Unbearable.
Really?
That makes me appreciate where I live, then. Whenever I go out on my own to see a band play or something, someone always makes an effort to talk to me and I get chatting with all kinds of people (being drunk does help).
Then again, i've never tried just going to a put without any live music on. I imagine that would be very different.

If you were ever in my town i'd have a drink with you. :)