• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I wish I had been born a buddhist.

chesterking

chesterking

I wish I had been born a Buddhist, then maybe I could have avoided all the problems I had in life. Okay, I would had no music playing in mind, but I don't think I would have missed that, that much. I would had a nice quiet mind, free from constant thinking. Even if the thoughts were nice and pleasant, on occasions I found this got a bit too much for me. It's nice just to pull the plug on my thoughts.

I wish I had done meditation a long time ago. I wish I could go back 20 years back in time and tell myself to do meditation. That would mean no more evil or bad thoughts, no more OCD, no more schizophrenia, no more suicidal thoughts or feelings, no more loneliness, no more negative emotions which made no sense, no more arguing, no more fighting, no more addictions.

I would been able to work because my mental illness stopped me working.

And if I have children in the future, I would bring them up on meditation so that they would be nice and peaceful before they grew up. No more problem children.
I think Buddhists bring their children up on meditation but I am not sure about that.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Ok, so you weren't born a Buddhist, but what's stopping you from adopting those beliefs and practises now?

I do believe the more you meditate the more naturally it comes to you. But hey, maybe in 20 years time perhaps you'll look back and thank yourself for meditating now?

Oh and I just want to say, I don't think Buddhists are free from emotional/mental problems. I suppose, at least in my view, they just have some very good tools for dealing with them.

shaky

shaky

I used to meditate.
Children are not supposed to meditate as their minds have not developed completely.
I think that a person has to earn to be taught meditation by a guru - either by giving their time or their money.

chesterking

chesterking

I disagree. You can do meditation free at home. It just takes 20 minutes of your day. And that's it.
It does get a bit complicated in the end. You have to 20 minutes of the 'I am' meditation to get in contact with your calm silent observer, your spirit. And eventually that calm silent observer becomes your permanent form. I will be writing more articles about this shortly in the next month.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The meditative/contemplative traditions are as much non-religious, as also appearing within all religious traditions.

People would debate it - But i personally don't see any monopoly of truth/validity of Buddhism, over any other religion.

My personal view is that a more genuine spirituality is non-religious or integral.

Kerome

Kerome

My personal view is that a more genuine spirituality is non-religious or integral.
Interesting. I see it more as a journey, where you inevitably travel through various traditions, accumulating wisdom from each as you go. And then I tend to judge religions as more or less harmful to ones overall path based on where I am along the path myself. Abrahamic religions in general are not so useful, their mystical traditions are better, the Kabbalah even better, then Buddhism, Sufism as genuinely useful ports of call.

I think the core of that does come back to what it means to be a seeker. Ultimately that stands independtly from the many traditions and even individual masters that you may choose to seek out or learn about, in the hope of a glimpse of the deeper life. Getting the habit of being a seeker, or being initiated as a sannyassin as Indian tradition would call it, is maybe more useful than picking one religion.

But I do think buddhism has many useful things to teach, and it's one of the better traditions to start with or even spend a whole lifetime on.